Chapter Twelve

At lunch, I hid in a corner in the library, eating my lunch and working on my part of the project with Dylan. Finished eating, I logged onto a computer—using Olivia Clark's ID, of course, since I didn't know Alessia's—and did the research we needed.

When lunch drew to an end, I felt my stomach flip. I hated school as Alessia Trent. Nothing was how it used to be, and I was no longer happy to roam the corridors, ask teachers for help, approach any soul in the school, attend my dance lunchtime class, and talk to my friends—talk to anyone. I was no longer happy.

Alessia really didn't have the secondary school experience that I had.

When the last lesson of the day ended, I felt like being sick. I remembered the threat that Alessia's dad had given me this morning. I had to be out of the house by dinner, otherwise, I feared for my life.

As I left school, everyone was cheering and shouting loudly about Matt's party. It was not unusual that Matt would throw a party, even Alessia knew that, but as Olivia, I was usually invited. Truth be told, no one is really 'invited', you just turn up. But don't let that fool you—we've had people turn up before and be rejected. They all said the same thing. Everyone's invited. Apparently, that rule didn't quite matter for all people.

I was afraid that Alessia would be one of those people.

Crossing the road, I was startled when my body was grabbed and yanked backwards. Then, looking as a car full of angry people zoomed past, I realised what had happened. I wasn't paying attention as I crossed the road.

I turned round to see who was holding me, looking up to see Dylan. My heart stopped.

"Dylan?" I asked, though in a whisper.

He smiled, though looked confused, "Are you okay?" He asked, "You just walked into the road as if you were sleep-walking," I followed his hand as he gestured to the side, supposedly to where he had just been, seeing his friends waiting for him. My friends. I watched as Olivia watched me. She seemed to smile, but that's not what Alessia saw.

I turned back to Dylan, my breathing suddenly laboured.

"Dylan I need help," I said, watching him frown.

"What is it?" He asked as I grabbed ahold of his arm.

I smiled at his immediate concern, "I just need somewhere to stay overnight, somewhere to be apart from at my house." He raked his hand through his hair, glancing around him, something he did when he ran into a problem.

"I'm going to a party tonight," he told me, "but if you meet me here at twelve, I can sneak you into my house." I nodded. It was as good as I could get. But still not enough. Regretfully, I let him leave, thanking him.

I watched him approach Olivia, who grinned at him. I sighed, turning away and crossing the road after looking both ways this time, before I disappeared into the forest in front of the school, walking fast. On my way to Alessia's house, I checked Instagram for details of the party; it said it would run from 8 till late. That was good enough for me.

When I got home from school, I prepared myself a ready meal whilst I thought over what I could wear. I didn't know if Alessia had any party clothes, and I didn't really shy away from dressing up as Olivia Clark, so it could be tricky if her dress collection is non-existent.