Chapter Twenty-Eight

I found Lucas standing between a row of bookshelves, sighing against the section on criminology.

"Lucas," I whispered, grabbing his attention as I slowly walked over to him.

His eyes flashed when he saw me, and he quickly rubbed at his eyes, "What do you want, Alessia? To drive the knife in further?" He asked bitterly.

She really had broken his heart; I had never witnessed Lucas talk in this way to Alessia before.

"I'm really sorry," I began, nearing him and watching him try to avoid meeting my gaze. "I said all those things because I was scared—I meant none of them."

Lucas scoffed, "Alessia, you quite blatantly have a crush on Dylan, you didn't need to tell me for me to know."

I shook my head, "I know, and I do," I said, feeling as though I wasn't lying as much as I should've been. I was trying to play the role of Alessia Trent, who loved Dylan, but I suddenly felt as though I wasn't just drooling lies.

"But I care about you, too, Lucas; I was afraid of what that would look like. I–" I began, unsure of what to say. I had reached him and was about ten centimetres away from him now. "I guess I'm very stubborn, and I'm scared to admit that you're right and I'm wrong," I said, making him frown.

"I can't love Dylan," I whispered, my breath hitching in my throat. "He loves Olivia," I said, almost believing it myself. "And I love you."

"Alessia, wha–"

It was then that I smashed my lips–Alessia's lips into his. It took a while for him to respond, but we were soon wrapped up in each other's embrace, kissing each other.

When we were finally done, Lucas pulled away and frowned at me. I shrugged, sharing a quick laugh with him.

"You're the most unpredictable person I know, Alessia Trent." He said, reaching out and tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear.

I smiled, "Isn't that a good thing, though?" I asked, making him consider this.

He shrugged, "Possibly, but not when you're breaking my heart." He teased, making me look away.

"Hey," he said, placing a palm to the side of my face and bringing my eyes back to him, "I forgive you for that." He said, smiling down at me.

I beamed at him, watching as he pulled away to check the time. He pressed a kiss to Alessia's forehead.

"We're late." He said.

I jumped away from him, checking the time on Alessia's phone. "Oh my god," I said.

Lucas laughed, "What's the rush?" He asked, "You are the least caring about punctuality  and attendance out of all the people I know." He said.

I grabbed onto his hand, pulling him along with me as I rushed through the library. "Yes, well, I haven't been feeling myself lately," I said, pushing open the door and running through it.

When I reached my History class, Lucas pulled me in for another kiss, which I had to push away from in order to not be severely late.