Chapter Twenty-Two

MERRY BOXING DAY

📦 📦 📦
📦📦📦📦📦
📦📦📦📦📦
📦📦📦

When I awoke, I thought I was dead.

Everything hurt so, so much.
Every bone, every muscle, every stretch of skin.

I felt broken.

A sudden buzzing sound made me refocus. Alessia's body was still in Alessia's room. But I had vacated her head. I didn't want to feel it, I didn't want to know it.

Alessia pulled herself across the carpet until she found her phone, identifying the caller, already crying when she picked up.

"Alessia?" He asked, making the tears fall faster, "Lucas has been worried about you all morning, and we have Biology next—are you okay?" He asked.

She then broke down, letting her sobs become audible.

"Alessia?" He asked, sounding more and more concerned.

"Dylan," she responded, feeling every nerve in her body crack. "Dylan I really need help," she said, desperation replacing her pain momentarily.

"Okay," he said uncertainly, "what do you need me to do?"

"Do you remember where I live?" She asked suddenly, making his audio pause over the phone.

"Kind of, yeah," he replied.

She breathed out, eyes closed, "I really need you to get here. Like now. There's a key under the blue plant pot and I'm on the second floor, the room with the broken door panels." With that, she quickly hung up, not wanting to divulge any further details for fear that she might accidentally tell Dylan that she gets abused at home. It's been a long kept secret of hers that kept her sane at school; she did not want pity, but she also didn't want to be shamed for being the girl that no one loves. Not her dad, not anyone at school, and certainly not Dylan.

I could've poured ideas about Lucas into her brain; he loves her, cares about her. But I was numb and buried far too deep into Alessia's brain to be summoned so easily. I had retreated into the shadows and wanted to leave Alessia's broken body as soon as possible. I couldn't be here for any longer.

Alessia was lying limp on the ground for what seemed like hours—and then she heard the front door open.

"Alessia!" Dylan yelled, running up the stairs after slamming the front door shut.

When he got to her door, Alessia heard him curse. "Oh my god, Alessia?"

He rushed over to her side, leaning down and pushing her hair away from her face.

She smiled, though weakly, "Dylan." She whispered.

His eyes searched her, wide and fearful.

"What..what happened?" He asked, looking around the room before his eyes ran across Alessia's body, concern etched onto his face.

Alessia shook her head, "Nothing important," she lied, "I just..I really need you to help me understand if anything's really badly damaged."