Chapter 7

Arlene coughed for what seemed like the millions time, she and Sage where in the room of Hogwarts Weekly, trying and failing to clean it.

Sage sneezed, she was standing on a levitating chair, attempting to dust the ceiling.

"I can smell the stew from here," Arlene, who wiping several objects that were inside a box, said "just calling for me, Arlene, Arlene, come eat me, there's turkey and drinks too, Arlene."

Sage hopped off the chair and onto a table "Maybe you should go to the great hall and have some lunch."

Arlene shook her head "I'm just kidding, I'm not hungry."

"Then go get me something from the great hall." Sage replied, jumping off the table and sitting on a random chair.

"Sage-"

"Go, you deserve it, we've been on this fool's errand all morning."

Arlene smiled "Seems like you're trying to get rid of me." She teased.

"Please," Sage rolled her eyes "you're like the gum that gets stuck in your shoe."

She dusted her skirt and chuckled "And I was about to tell you about the Divination class, Harry Potter's grim aside, I partnered up with Granger."

Not leaving any time for Sage to answer, Arlene exited the room.

"But Hermione was with me in Arithmancy." Sage mumbled, unheard by Arlene.

As Arlene made her way to the great hall, she kept looking at her reflection in the glass, her hair was messed up, her tie was untied, her skirt was covered in dust and her shirt was rolled up to her elbow.

Unfortunately, Arlene was so wrapped up in fixing her hair that she wasn't looking where she was going and ran into someone.

Fortunately? That someone was Hermione.

"Okay, you know what?" Arlene said as she stood up "Once is chance, twice is coincidence, and thrice means business."

Hermione chuckled halfheartedly, that was when Arlene noticed how upset she was.

"What's wrong?" She questioned.

She bit her lip "Nothing." She said, causing Arlene to roll her eyes.

"Hermione, my mum is a lawyer, I see professional liars every other day, and you're going to have to try harder than that to fool me."

She sighed "Ron is being a jerk." She confessed.

Arlene frowned and dragged Hermione to one of the windows seats.

"I thought Ron was supposed to be the sweet one." Arlene said, forgetting all about the great hall.

"He is, he's just, I don't know how to explain it, but do you know when wizards are all like 'It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense'?" Hermione said, turning to Arlene.

She nodded "One of the reasons my mum didn't want me taking Divination, she said it's illogical, then proceeded to give me a lecture."

Hermione raised an eyebrow "Then why did you take it?"

Arlene shrugged "Why do I do anything? Spite, because I can and omens are true even though useless."

"Useless?"

"Well, yeah, there's an entire history of how prophecies never truly mean what they imply, like The Oracle Of Delphi in Greek Mythology, it gives you riddles that may mean something and the heroes die trying to prevent them only to find out that wasn't what they meant at all. The grim may have just been a dog, but what is that dog going to do, what's going to happen? Is it a dog or death? Is someone going to die? Does it even mean a real dog or a painting of some sort? You can't know."