Chapter 40

They left the Shack as the oddest group Arlene's ever been a part of; Peter had one arm tied to Lupin and the other to Ron, who had had his leg bandaged up (he seemed to take Scabber's real identity as a personal insult) followed by Harry and the ...

They left the Shack as the oddest group Arlene's ever been a part of; Peter had one arm tied to Lupin and the other to Ron, who had had his leg bandaged up (he seemed to take Scabber's real identity as a personal insult) followed by Harry and the two girls, the two brothers trailing behind with Snape floating beside them.

(His head kept hitting the low ceiling; Sirius made no effort to correct it)

"So Harry." Sirius started, he looked hesitant, like a shy student making a presentation "I don't know if anyone's told you, but I'm your godfather."

"I know."

"And erm- you know, after all this is over, I still have the Black Manor –in Berkshire- and also Grimmault Place in London, if you want to come live with me –I'd understand if you want to stay with your aunt-"

Harry's eyes lit up "Leave the Dursleys you mean?"

"Of couse, I understand if you'd rather stay-"

"Are you mad? I'd love to leave them!" Harry grinned from ear to ear.

The topic got to Arlene's head, what would happen after this is over? She knew that her parents were already married, so would her father stay with them in their flat in London? Or will they stay at one of their family's estates –what about her name? It was always a battle she wanted to fight, 'Black Burke', to show that she wasn't ashamed of her ancestry, but will she finally settle on one?

Sensing her thoughts, her father placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. He didn't say anything, but he gave her a 'don't worry' look.

It was funny, she had already assumed that her family would be whole again, assumed that God didn't have a cruel sense of humour.

The first thing she saw when she climbed out of the tunnel was the moon.

The full moon.

Arlene could see Lupin's silhouette, he had gone rigid, then his limbs began to shake.

"Oh, my-" Hermione gasped. "He didn't take his potion tonight! He's not safe!"

"Run," Black whispered. "Run, now."

Everything happened so fast. Both he and Regulus turned, Sirius wrapped his jaw around the werewolf's neck and kept him at bay while Regulus cut off the rope binding him to Peter and Ron.

Immediately, Pettigrew dived for Lupin's dropped wand. Ron, unsteady on his bandaged leg, fell. There was a bang, a burst of light, and Ron layed motionless on the ground. Another bang, and her father was thrown against a tree.

As soon as he collided, he turned back into his human form, he attempted to get up with his hand covering the new cut on his forehead, but it was too late; Lupin had smelled the blood.

Lupin broke out of Sirius' grasp and charged towards Regulus; Peter used the commotion to turn and disappear into the forest.

Arlene watched as the werewolf dug its claws into her father's chest; she felt like the world was set to slow motion, Black managed to draw Remus back and was barley holding him off, but Arlene didn't care, she ran towards her father and dropped to her knees.