Chapter 36

In the days that followed, Arlene was suffering from a very bad case of nostalgia.

It wasn't the first time that Hermione had started avoiding her because she was about to reveal her feelings, and the rejection was taking its toll on Arlene's ego.

But she didn't have time to worry about her love life, or the impending finales or even the soap opera that was the Black family.

Because Hagrid was now expected to depend Buckbeak himself at the appeal, and Arlene's mother couldn't help because apparently she'd been the prime suspect in aiding a mass murderer because she had defended him when he was first convicted which makes no sense since she was the one who always warned Arlene about her uncle and-

Arlene took a deep breath, she couldn't afford to drown in her thoughts, because, regardless of her personal drama, the Quidditch Finale was getting closer by the day, and the closer the date came, the more Marcus started to channel Oliver Wood's obsessiveness.

The Easter Holidays that year was gloomier than most, Hagrid understandably didn't want to decorate (it was clear Filch wasn't going to either) and the fifth to seventh years –the work force that organized most celebrations- were crammed with studying.

Sometimes, Arlene would steal a glance at the Gryffindor table during meal times and find Harry doing his homework (he was as overworked by practice as she was) Ron reading a different book in the Magical Law genre (at least Hagrid wasn't completely on his own) and Hermione studying (at least she wasn't fighting with the boys anymore)

And as though all that wasn't enough, tensions between the two houses piled more problems on Arlene's plate, Gryffindor hadn't won the cup since the legendary Charlie Weasley was seeker, not to mention that it was both Oliver and Marcus' last year, and both wanted to win it.

(A Gryffindor fifth year voiced his doubts that Marcus would be graduating that year and ended up in the hospital wing after Miles hexed him)

But dealing with Flint's micromanaging during practice in no way prepared her for the day of the match.

"Draco don't you dare get red carded like last time-"

"-you should've clipped your nails Peggy! You would've had a stronger grip-"

"When's the last time you changed the broom's handle Arlene?"

"Did any of you even read the strategy I owled you!"

Miles finally had enough and slammed his locker shut, then proceeded to voice all of their thoughts in a booming Scottish accent "Marcus, one more word and I will make Jade dump you, you over-glorified waste of hair!"

By the time they stepped into the Pitch, her entire body was filled with dread and anticipation.

"And here are the Gryffindors!" Lee Jordan's voiced boomed "Potter, Bell, Johnson, Spinnet, Weasley, Weasley, and Wood. Widely acknowledged as the best team Hogwarts has seen in a good few years-"

The rest of the sentence was overshadowed by the Slytherins' boos.

"And here come the Slytherin team, led by Captain Flint," continued in a sweet voice "Burke, Salvatore, Derek, Malfoy, Blechley and-"

Again, the sentence was cut off, this time by Gryffindor.

"And it's Gryffindor in possession, Alicia Spinner of Gryffindor with the Quaffle, heading straight for the Slytherin goal posts, looking good, Alicia! Argh, no- Quaffle intercepted by Salvatore, Salvatore of Slytherin tearing up the field- WHAM!- nice Bludger work there by George Weasley, Salvatore drops the Quaffle, it's caught by Johnson, Gryffindor back in possession, come on, Angelina nice swerve around Flint- SHE SCORES! TEN-ZERO TO GRYFFINDOR!"