Chapter 17

Arlene remembered a time when she was twelve and was talking to her mother about the perfect kiss.

'There's two parts of any first kiss, love, the kiss itself and the drumroll.'

The 'drumroll' was the moment before the kiss, when you lock eyes, your lips are almost touching and your heart skips a beat.

Paloma told her that it was better than the kiss itself but Arlene never understood any of it until the moment Hermione stopped talking about the book when they made eye contact.

Arlene had a clear view of Hermione's eyes and was suddenly noticing every detail, their light chocolate color, the flecks of darker brown scattered around, exactly seven big ones in the left eye but a million little ones in the right.

They were so close, she could feel Hermione's breath on her skin.

She could kiss her, and then it would all be over, Hermione either liked her or she didn't, but in that moment, Arlene felt frozen, Hermione's eyes were suddenly so captivating, it was like she was in a trace.

Their lips were almost touching, it seemed so easy, to just brush her lips on Hermione's soft pinkish ones, but before she could take any action, Hermione cleared her throat and looked away.

"I- uh, I should go look for Ron, he- err, he's probably finished detention by now, excuse me."

Arlene watched miserably as Hermione stood up and left, leaving Arlene alone in.

She stayed alone for a while, imagining all the possible scenarios the drumroll could have ended in. Best case scenario, she could have kissed her and she would have kissed back, worst case scenario, she would have told her she didn't feel the same way.

But it would've been better than this, she still didn't kno if Hermione liked her back or if she didn't and yet still, she was sure their numbered meetings wearing a trench coat of a 'friendship' was ruined.

It wasn't until Sage came by later and saw Arlene sitting alone that and sensed something was wrong that she stopped thinking about it.

She seemed to understand that the meeting with Hermione didn't end well, but she didn't press her for details, she simply helped her get up and escorted her to the Slytherin dorms to change into her 'sad' pajamas –hello kitty pants and an oversized sweatshirt- then wrapped her like a burrito with a blanket.

Sage wanted Arlene to just stay in bed and probably eat a chocolate to feel better, but Arlene found sitting in one of the leather couches while drawing whatever sea creature was passing by to be more relaxing.

"Are you okay?" Sage finally asked once Arlene settled down, wrapped in endless fuzzy blankets but somehow had managed to free her hands to be able to sketch.

Arlene sighed and looked at the Grindlylow resting on the glass ceiling, its deadly teeth clearly visible "I feel sad."

Sage bit her lip "Come here, I have emotional jump cables, I'll boost you." She told her.

Sage threw her arms around Arlene and wrapped her into a crushing embrace.

"This seems just like a hug." Arlene mumbled, her voice muffled.

Sage held her tighter "Emotional jump cables." She insisted.

From the corner of her eye, Arlene saw Blaise laughing with Draco and Pansy, she didn't dwell much on it, Sytherins, regardless of views, were pretty close, but she did remember Blaise saying a few times how he liked Draco and Pansy, but Crabbe and Goyle made him want to jump off a cliff.

No Body No Crime □■ Hermione Grangerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें