25. Blooming feelings

(Y/N)'s POV

The next day came by and I was on my way to meet with him at the same park we went to before. I was still sore because of yesterday's event, but as soon as I saw him the discomfort misteriously disappeared. I waved at him and he did too, and he soon lead the way to where his mom was.

The walk was quiet but my mind was being noisy nonetheless, filled with memories of the kiss. As I was really nervous, the way I walked was really stiff and I ended up tripping embarrassingly on my own. He catched me before I could fall and when I saw his eyes, my face turned red and I quickly let go of him. I thought I heard him snicker a little, but when I saw him he had the same stoic face as always.

After minutes of silence I decided to break it. "Hey Shouto... I've been wondering... what was that, uh... kiss about?" He was surprised as he didn't expect me to talk, and especially ask him that question I guess. He seemed to think about the answer before he said "I just wanted to cheer you up."

I should've guessed it was just that, and all the more because it's Shouto we're talking about. I was disappointed because I somehow expected he'd say...

Stupid me for actually thinking he'd meant something more than that.In any case, it's good I asked before my feelings grew to something else. "Anything wrong with it?" "No, I was just wondering."

The rest of the walk felt a little awkward to be honest. After a while, I was surprised when we winded up on a psychiatric hospital. I looked at him expecting some kind on explanation. "Ah.. yes, after the accident" he motioned to the scar on his face "my father put her in here." I nodded in an understanding way.

It looked like he was going to her ward but there was some uncertainty in the way he acted. I was hesitant as to what to do because of my feelings, but I decided I wouldn't let my feelings get in the way of our friendship. I touched his arm reassuringly and said "I know you can do it. If anything happens, I'm here for you." He seemed to calm down and I was glad. "Wait here, I'll be back soon." "Don't worry, take your time. I'm sure you have a lot to catch on. I'll find something to do meanwhile." I smiled at him and he appreciated my words, soon leaving.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and all tension left my body. I must have been so awkward arghh... "Well, what am I going to do now?" I mumbled when I looked around searching for anything to do and something caught my attention. I could hear children's yells and laughs and, as it looked like Shouto would take a while, I went inside the room where the noise came from.

Shouto's POV

There were lots of things I wanted to talk about with my mother. I reached her room and took a deep breath before going inside. I've decided I'm going to save her like I promised before.

I slowly reached for the handle and pulled open the door.

"Mom..."

.

.

.

After we finished our long needed talk, I bid goodbye to my mother and returned to the lobby but (Y/N) wasn't there. Had she left already? Well, it has been about two hours...

I felt a pang of disappointment until I heard her voice coming from one room. I went there and found her playing tag with some kids of the hospital. I was relieved and just leaned on the wall while watching her have fun. Some moments later she noticed me.

"Ah! Shouto! Have you finis- Ack!!!" "Now you're it sis! Hahaha!" One girl caught her off guard and scared (Y/N) before running away. "Huh, now you'll see!" She ran after the kids with her hands imitating that of a monster, I think, and after a couple minutes she catched a boy. "I got you! Hehe, well I'm sorry kids, but this nee-chan has to go now. That handsome onii-san over there has been waiting for me for a while." I almost choked when she said that I was handsome, and I noticed a faint blush creeping on my face. Luckily it was barely noticeable, I think.

"Nee-chan, is he your boyfriend?" Some girls asked her mischievously and (Y/N) was flustered. "W-What?? No, he isn't! Uh, I mean, we're very good friends." I snickered at her nervousness. She's cute...

"Are you going to come back again??" "Uh..." She looked at me not too sure what to reply and I gave her a nod. "Um yeah, I'll come back soon and play again with all of you." They all cheered at her reply and I also felt contented.   

After they all hugged and said their goodbyes, we left the hospital. "So, Shouto, how did it go?" "It went alright. I'm glad I decided to see her after many years. We talked about a lot of things." Suddenly, her stomach growled loudly and she tried to hide the noise burrying her tummy behind her arms embarrassed. "And I guess we talked for a very long time..." I said teasingly and her face grew red. "S-Shut up..." she muttered and I chuckled a little. "Want to eat something?"

...

"What the hell is this place Shouto?! There's no way I can afford this!" "Don't worry, I'll pay for you." "What?! No way in hell am I letting you pay this much for me. And how much money do you carry on? Anyways! Come on, I'll take you somewhere else." She said as she dragged me down the street. 

We ended up on a much more humble place, but it felt nice. The atmosphere was lively and much more carefree, unlike the restaurant we went to before. We sat on a free table and the waitress gave us the menu. "Heya (Y/N),  long time no see! I see you came with a boy huh?" The woman arched an eyebrow while nudging (Y/N) with her elbow. "He's just a friend;; ugg whatever, I'll have the usual and he'll have a bowl of cold soba." "Gotcha!"

I raised my eyebrow when she ordered for me. "Em.. I know this place isn't any like the places you are used to go, but I chose this restaurant on purpose because they make the best cold soba in the world! I promise you'll like it." "Okay then." We waited for the food to come and when it arrived, it looked and smelled delicious. I calmly started eating but when I had the first taste, I quickly dug in. After I finished I looked at her and she was smiling. "I'm glad it was delicious". She continued eating and I remembered a bit of the conversation I had with my mother.

Flashback

"Shouto, you look happy. Did something good happen to you?"

"Ah, yes... Well, there's a girl I met at school who helped me through a lot and I feel thankful to her."

"Mmm, are you sure that's all you feel for her?" She smiled sneakily and I didn't know what she meant by that. Then I recalled what (Y/N) asked about this morning, the kiss. I don't exactly know why I did it, it just felt right. It hurt to see her like that and I wanted her to feel better. Also, it was funny to see her reaction.

Then I noticed my mother smirking a little bit. "Shouto, you are smiling." I quickly cleared my voice and stayed silent. "Okay, let's leave it at that, but I would like to meet that girl one day." I nodded not sure what else to say. "Shouto... I'm glad you are finally happy." My mother said while crying tears of happiness.

End of flashback

I continued to look at her and she noticed, and she got so nervous she almost dropped her fork. I laughed a little and she got embarrased.

I think I know why I kissed her that time. I think... I'm starting to like her.