Chapter 8

You sat on the couch. It was ten PM, and you were rigidly sitting next to Edd. He had his arm around you, and normally you'd be all over him. But the guilt of kissing Tom clouded your mind. You had told Edd you felt too tired to see a movie, and so he just nodded and suggested a movie marathon at home.

So here you sat, ready to cry because Edd kept rubbing your arm, kept moving closer to you, would press a gentle kiss to your temple whenever a love scene came on in a movie. You stared straight ahead, and decided to try and distract yourself from your kiss with Tom by paying attention to Edd.

You sighed and melted onto Edd, and he wrapped his arm around you tighter. You turned to the side, and slowly moved to sit on his lap. Edd smiled at you, and you felt your guilt grow before leaning in and wrapping your arms around his neck. He smiled wider before kissing you.

You two made out for a while, maybe ten minutes, before the guilt grew so big you stopped. You pulled away from Edd, and he gave you a confused smile. You put your hands on his cheeks, staring into his dark brown eyes, and you felt tears start to build up.

Edd saying your name caused the tears to start coming, just one tear at first. Thank god it's dark, you thought. You turned away and dropped your hands, getting off of Edd's lap and turning to shut off the TV and stealthily wiping away your tear.

"Babe? Are you okay?" Edd asked from behind you.

You stood up, and faced Edd. It was almost pitch black, the kitchen providing some light.

"I did something bad."

Edd's small smile immediately dropped, and you could see his pupils widen a bit.

"Are you hurt? Are you alright?"

You almost started to cry again. He cared about you so much, and you had to tell him you kissed his best friend. You hadn't even kissed him. Tom kissed you, and you pulled away.

"I, um..." You let out a shaky sigh before saying it.

"Tom kissed me." You said.

The earth stopped. Edd's pupils shrunk, and his mouth dropped open a bit. He stayed still a minute, then blinked a few times.

"What?"

"Tom kissed me."

"When were you going to tell me this?"

"It happened today."

"And you didn't tell me right away?"

"I wanted to forget it-"

"Why did you kiss him?"

"I didn't kiss him, he kissed me," You started to panic, knowing Edd would break up with you. "-and I pulled away! It only lasted a few seconds."

"But you let him kiss you. You didn't pull away before he could. And you've been with him so much lately, when you knew he liked you-" Edd paused, then looked you in the eyes, hurt evident. "You like him, don't you?"

You felt that guilt again, and tears started welling up in your eyes.

"Don't you?" Edd asked.

"Yes." You said quietly. He was going to break up with you, for sure now.

"How long?"

You stayed silent for a moment, sniffled, then answered.

"Two months."

"Two months? Two months you've liked... him? And you didn't tell me?" Edd was getting louder, and the way he cried your name made you cry harder. "Don't I mean anything to you?"

"Yes! Yes, of course! Edd, Edd, I love you, with all my heart." Edd shook his head as you spoke.

"God, I thought I was crazy for being jealous. But I guess now I know why you two hung out so much, huh?" He glared at the ground.

"No, Edd, that was all innocent." You reached out to him.

"And then you came back and kissed me? After you kissed him? What, were you trying to replicate him by using me?"

"No, I love you so much, Edd, please, baby-"

"Please don't call me that." Edd's voice broke, and you saw tears start running down his face. He seemed to have gone from angry to sad. And you were the reason for his despair.

"I'm so in love with you, I don't know what to do." He cried. "Did I- did I even cross your mind when you were with him?"

"Yes, Edd, please believe me, I pulled away as soon as I knew what was happening!" You pleaded.

Edd leaned into his hands, and you heard a sob before he stood up. He looked intimidating, standing so tall in the dark room.

"I need you to leave." He said.

"What? Edd, we can work through this-"

"I want to. But I can't be here with you. Please," His voice broke again and he covered his mouth for a moment, "please leave. Stay with Tom, I don't care. I need to talk to him anyway."

You let out a sob.

"Edd-"

"Leave!" He said, louder.

You cried out and nodded. You couldn't look Edd in his eyes anymore.

"Okay, l-let me... let me p-pack my stuff." You said, and quickly walked to your room.

You grabbed a suitcase, filled it with as many clothes as you could, and took your pillow from the bed. You sobbed again and stepped out to where Edd was.

"I'll be back to pack the rest, so you... don't have to see it."

Edd nodded. You walked to the door and opened it, grabbing your bag with your phone and wallet on the way.

"I love you." You said quietly.

Edd just turned away, and you could hear his crying.

You walked out.

Matt opened the door after a few minutes, and you had managed to fake calm by staring at the wall while he unlocked his door.

Matt saying your name snapped you out of your trance.

"What are you doing here? It's eleven at night." Matt said.

"Matt, I need to stay with you."

"What? Why?" His blue eyes widened, suddenly awake.

"Edd and I... had a fight." You told him quietly.

"Did- did he hurt you?"

"No." you started crying again. "I hurt him."

Matt let you walk in and set your bags down before sitting you on the couch and rubbing your back in circles while you cried.

"Are you okay? What happened?"

"Tom kissed me, and I told Edd, and he was mad at first because I told him I liked Tom, and then he started crying and told me to leave, which is understandable because I was an idiot-" You sobbed.

Matt hugged you and whispered that you weren't an idiot, that it was Tom's fault. You cried for a while before slumping against the couch and falling into a deep sleep.