Chapter 9

You lifted your head from the pillow, saw it was still rather dark, and turned around to say good morning to Edd. You saw the back of a couch and immediately you were hit by what had happened the previous day.

Tears started building up again, burning your eyes, and you held the couch cushion and cried.

Matt walked out of his room, completely put together, around five minutes after you finished crying. It was now light out, and you wiped your nose as Matt walked over to you.

"Hey. How are you?" He asked, bending over you.

"I'm awake." You sniffed. Matt nodded and patted your hair.

"Do you have clothes? Want to go out for breakfast?" Matt stood again, looking at you.

"S-sure. Let me get dressed."

You sat across from Matt at a small cafe. Matt had an organic breakfast sandwich, and you'd ordered a croissant, unable to eat very much.

Matt made small talk with you, and you laughed once at a joke he made about a waitress's hair. Other than that, you were quiet.

After breakfast, you threw your coffee cup away and looked at Matt.

"I have to get my stuff and look for a new apartment. Will you help?"

Matt smiled softly.

"You don't need to look for another apartment, you can stay with me." He said.

You smiled a bit. That was great, because you wouldn't need to live alone. But you'd be down the hall from Edd.

"Okay." You paused. "Matt, how should I text him and say I'm coming to get my stuff? Should I just be curt?"

"Yeah. That's best."

"Okay." You sighed.

You stared at the message you'd typed, thumb hovering over the send button. 

Hey, I'm coming over to get my stuff. Any time I should come over?

Hopefully he's not home today, you think, and send. 

The response comes ten minutes later, when you and Matt are just getting to your now shared door. 

Yeah, I'm heading out now. I assume you still have keys. 

You hear a door open behind you, and freeze. You turn, and sure enough, it's the person you don't want to see. Just as you make eye contact with Edd, Matt opens his door and reaches for your arm, tapping on you. 

You stare at Edd, wanting to run and sob into his arms. His widened eyes narrow and you almost step back, almost look away, but he turns and closes the door, walking away quickly. 

You and Matt walk into your apartment and you cry. Hard. 

--

You're setting the tenth and final box of your belongings in Matt's (and your's?) apartment, and you walk back to shut the door to Edd's apartment one last time. 

Tom is standing next to you. 

You turn, and butterflies stab at you as you feel heat and guilt rise up in you. 

"Hey Tom."

Tom mumbles a hey at you, and you see his eyes narrowed as though he's thinking.

"Are you mad at me?" 

You avert your eyes.

"No more than I am at myself."

Tom then asks if he can talk to you in his apartment, and you agree. You both head over, and he starts talking.