6: Welcome to New Orleans

"That's what family is. It's the people you're born to and the people you choose to stand beside you when things get hard." -Jackson Kenner

Malik walked through the lively streets of New Orleans

Malik walked through the lively streets of New Orleans. Breathing in the vibrant atmosphere. It had been so many years since he had been here last. He remembered when he first arrived. After his brother had told him of the city they had helped create. He had first met Marcel in the old opera house, now burned down due to the cruel acts of his father.

He remembered that day all too clearly. He had only been in New Orleans for a few days. He was planning on surprising his brothers after returning from Poland after nearly 250 years. He had taken his seat in the booth he knew Niklaus had compelled for himself and his siblings. What Malik didn't expect however, was the appearance of his father. He had a brief glimpse of the man Rebekah had loved before the building burned to the ground.

He shivered at the memory. It wasn't pleasant to say the least. To say he was nervous to be back was an understatement. This city hold many horrible memories for the Mikaelson. He was unfortunate not to be graced with the happy memories that his fellow siblings shared. Malik guessed he'd just have to make some new ones. And hopefully at the same time try to forget the calm life he left behind in Beacon Hills.

He fiddled with his hands nervously as he walked into the open courtyard of the compound his family called home so long ago. He looked around trying to take the place in but before he got too far a dark skinned vampire sped up to him and looked at him threateningly in the eye.

"Who are you?" The man with dark brown eyes spoke, his voice calm but filled with an underlying strength. Malik smirked at the man, tilting his head to the side in amusement.

"Aw come on now Marcel. You really don't recognise me?" Malik let his accent slip into his old ways as he watched Marcel's eyes widen in realisation.

"Malik." He whispered in shock. A flash of darkness crossed his eyes as undoubtedly the last time he had seen the Mikaelson crossed his mind. Malik merely widened his smile.

"The one and only." He hugged a shocked Marcel, shaking him out of the dark place he had entered in his mind. Marcel smiled in return as he pulled away from the original. "Now," Malik sighed looking around. "Where is my god forsaken family?"

As if on cue a loud banging erupted from upstairs. Closely followed by the sound of glass breaking and wood smashing as a large cabinet fell into the middle of the courtyard from above. Malik sighed, running his hand down his face as he looked up at the fuming expression of his younger brother.

"Hello brother. It's nice to see you again. How have you been after compelling everyone you loved to forget you?" Malik chimed sarcastically. Niklaus shook his head in confusion before speeding down to meet his brother.

"Brother." He whispered, all anger vanished from his expression in an instant. Quickly replaced with a dismal look as his eyes flickered sadly to the floor. Malik frowned in worry.

"Brother what is it? What has happened?" He asked placing a hand on Niklaus' shoulder. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he could sense the anger and another emotion he couldn't pinpoint radiating off his brother's body.

"They took her." Niklaus replied. "They took the mother of my child." His eyes moved upwards to match Malik's fiery ones. Malik could feel the anger burning up inside him. Consuming every fibre of his being. How dare someone take the mother of his newborn niece? They were going to pay.

"Who?" Malik growled. "Who dares take Hayley Marshall? Tell me brother, and I will rip their hearts out and throw their bodies into the gutter. I happen to know a few vicious wolves who are in desperate need of a good meal." Malik's eyes flashed silver in rage. Malik's anger vanished however as he saw the fear in Niklaus' eyes.

"Father." He whispered as Malik's eyes widened in shock and fear. His mouth fell open as his breath was caught in his throat. He pushed past his brother as he felt his heart hammering in his chest. He ran up to the broken cabinet and kicked it as hard as he could. The wood splintering as his ankle throbbed in pain. He roared in rage as he fell to his knees.

Niklaus slowly walked over to Malik. He swallowed a lump forming in his throat as he looked upon the broken face of the original. He could see the tears threatening to fall down his brothers face as Malik looked up at him.

"How?" Malik whispered. "How could he find us again?" He shook his head as he ran his hands through his hair stressfully. "I thought he was locked away. He couldn't hurt us anymore. What happened brother?" He roared up at the hybrid. Klaus looked shocked, staring down at his normally composed older brother with wide eyes.

"I don't know." Niklaus whispered. "She had gone out to meet Davina but she never showed. The next thing I knew this note was on my desk." Niklaus pulled out a crumpled piece of paper and handed it to Malik. Malik slowly unfolded the brown note. His eyes glazed quickly over the message inside before they flickered down to the bottom. Lingering for a moment on the large black M stamped at the bottom.

Malik's hands shook as he read the note over and over, reading the cursive letters that sent shivers down his spine. Without another glance he crushed the small paper in his hands and through it into the fire. Watching as the flames engulfed it, the black ink mixing slowly with the smokey coal, before it faded to ashes. Malik sped out of the compound leaving a very confused Marcel.

"What just happened?" He asked Klaus, gesturing to the abrupt exit of the Mikaelson. Klaus sighed as he faced his old friend.

"Mikael wrote me a note. It told me that I had to hand myself over to him to be killed or Hayley would be dead by sundown." Klaus replied looking at his hands. Marcel crossed his arms over his chest as he raised as eyebrow at the hybrid.

"So what are you gonna do?" He asked.

"I'm going to let him kill me."

------------------------

Okay, so I know these chapters are getting shorter, but Its because I have a plan with what I'm planning to do (yay!). So not everything I can write will go into one chapter otherwise the flow doesn't work? Sorry this is kinda confusing but I hope you're enjoying this story! xx