9: The Curse

"Now we have allies that used to be enemies. Now we have protectors. We have friends willing to fight for us." -Scott McCall

Elijah was standing next to the fireplace in his room

Elijah was standing next to the fireplace in his room. Staring into the charcoaled abyss, begging for it's emptiness to calm him. His hands shook slightly as he lifted the glass of bourbon to his lips. Only one thing could do this to him. And that man, that monster, was his father.

His father who had returned from the dead. Along with his mother. But not for long as it seems, as both of whom had been found decapitated in a side alley of New Orleans, Mikael's body singed black, with a white oak dagger protruding from his chest. He had found Hayley alive, two days ago, in a church covered from inch to inch in blood. She doesn't remember anything that happened, but she keeps muttering the same word over and over again in her sleep.

Malik.

Malik. His brother. Who no one had seen or heard from in nearly three days. The last time Elijah had seen him was when he sped out of Rousseau's in a rage. He was worried. No, he was terrified. There was something out there, with enough power to kill both of his parents, and kidnap Malik, in one fell swoop. And that sent chills to his core.

Elijah heard a crash from downstairs. He dropped his glass, as the cup smashed into a million pieces on the wooden floorboards. He quickly sped into the courtyard, following the noise, only to find a tall boy with olive skin, dark brown hair, and wide puppy-like eyes. Elijah narrowed his gaze as he looked onto the teenager, his posture relaxed as a flicker of recognition flashed across his features.

"Scott?" Elijah asked holding out his handkerchief for the blood-soaked boy. "What happened?" Scott smiled gratefully as he took the cloth to his side. Wincing as the fabric touched the large clawed gash which was oozing deep crimson blood.

"It was Malik." Scott gasped, looking up at the vampire with fear in his eyes. Elijah froze, shocked at the words that left the wolf's mouth. Before he could reply though, Scott held up a weak hand and he took a deep breath as he continued. "It was these witches. They did something to him. I don't know what it was but one minute he was screaming as they did some spell, and the next he was deadly silent."

"How did you see this?" Elijah asked, curious. "Did they take you too?" Scott nodded glumly.

"We were on our way to New Orleans, looking for answers, then we heard this chanting. Kira recognised it as Japanese. And before we knew it, everything went black and we woke up in this locked room, tied to these chairs. Stiles was brought in the next day, thats when they did it." Scott looked to the ground in anger. Elijah placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, begging for the boy to meet his gaze.

"What did they do Scott?" Elijah asked. His eyes hiding the fear he felt at the mention of Japanese witches, he couldn't believe it, not yet. Scott looked up at the vampire, his eyes showing terror and almost, familiarity?

"They made him void." Scott muttered. Elijah dropped his hand instantly, a dark anger filling his veins, as he walked over to a wooden console table purposefully. He looked over it a moment, seemingly admiring its handy work before he plunged his fist, splintering the wood with an almighty crash of anger and frustration. Scott furrowed his brows as he looked at the original. "What do you know about this?" He asked as Elijah paused for a moment pondering his words before he faced the young wolf with a solemn expression.

"They activated his curse." Elijah gazed sadly at the young boy, the last he would see of his friend was a monster. As he had only known the curse to last until Malik had dropped about a thousand bodies, always starting with those he had befriended in that time. Elijah knew that if Malik's curse had been triggered, then Scott's death may only be days away.

"No they didn't." Scott furrowed his brows at the original. "They possessed him with another dark spirit." He looked innocently at the vampire. "He was possessed before, about a year ago. We managed to kill the spirit, but only after it had killed two of our friends." Elijah's eyes widened in shock at the wolf. It was impossible. They had found a way to break the curse early.

"You managed to stop it. How did you do it? Do you think you could repeat the process, and break free my brother from this endless circle of torment and destruction?" Elijah asked stepping closer to the boy in anticipation.

Before, either wolf or vampire could say another word, a certain blonde vampire entered the courtyard in a huff. Elijah growled in a low protective manner as he stood in front of the true alpha. Scott looked between the two, confusion etched onto his features.

"I'm Caroline, by the way." The blonde vampire spoke to Scott as she looked over Elijah's shoulder. Her gaze fell onto the original as her expression turned serious. "I heard about what Damon did to get Stefan back and I'm sorry." Scott smiled at the vampire, she looked nice enough, and her expression seemed genuine.

"What do you want Ms Forbes?" Elijah asked, getting impatient. Caroline scoffed as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Well I'm actually here to help you but if you don't want it then I guess I can just leave.." she trailed off as she began to turn around.

"Wait." Elijah spoke up his hands falling into his suit pockets. "Tell us what you know." Caroline smirked in victory, her blue eyes glistening with anticipation.

"I heard that Malik had a curse placed on him?" She asked Elijah who nodded in response. "Well if it was of magical origin, then I think I may be able to help you." She tucked a strand of her curly blonde hair behind her ear.

"How?" Scott asked standing forward. Caroline's smile grew as she looked at the teenager.

"My daughters are both siphoner witches. They can drain the magic in the curse, effectively taking its power away." She finished as Elijah grew a small smirk.

"Well," he paused looking between the two.

"What are we waiting for?"