28: No More Lies

"I believe that when you love someone and that person loves you in return you're uniquely vulnerable. They have a power to hurt you like nothing else." -Elijah Mikaelson

Malik's eyes slowly fluttered open

Malik's eyes slowly fluttered open. His surroundings a blurry faze before he blinked, wafting away the clouds in his vision. He was back in Derek's loft, laying in the wolf's bed, the sheets strewn around him as his chest slowly rose and fell, bringing him back to the land of the living.

"You're awake." A soft voice came from the doorway. Malik turned his head to see Derek standing with his arms crossed, his signature eyebrow raised as he smirked gently at the hybrid.

"What happened?" Malik croaked out as he sat up on the bed, wincing as his neck ached from the previously broken bones. The hybrid looked up at the wolf for an explanation. Derek sighed, his face darkening as he sat next to him on the large double bed.

"The Dread Doctors." He sighed, his eyes on the floor as he spoke of the packs most recent enemy. "These, men, now monsters, were experimenting on the teenagers of Beacon Hills. Turning them into the supernatural, chimeras." Derek explained darkly as Malik's eyes widened in surprise. "It was all leading up to what you saw last night. The Beast of Gevaudan." Malik's eyebrows creased in confusion.

"La Bête?" The hybrid questioned, confused. "That monster lived in the 18th century. It can't of been him." Malik shook his head as Derek laughed coldly.

"Well they raised him from the dead, placing his spirit in a teenager called Mason Hewitt." Derek spoke bitterly as he stood up, making his way over to the window and watching the town below the loft in thought, as he played with the peeling paint on the window frame. "We managed to separate them and the Beast took its original form."

"Sebastien Valet." Malik whispered in realisation. Derek nodded solemnly.

"We had a feeling it would show up at the game. That's why we were there." Derek sighed once more. The wolf turned around to face the hybrid, his eyes glassy with regret. "You weren't supposed to be there. You shouldn't have got hurt. You have a daughter who needs you."

Malik's eyes fell to the floor as he contemplated the new information. The silence that fell on the room was heavy, it felt like a weight on Derek's shoulders as he shifted uncomfortably under it. After a moment, Malik stood swiftly up and walked to the other end of the room, creating a distance between them, an unreadable expression on his tired face.

"You should have told me Derek." The hybrid started, his voice low but unwavering. "I can help with these things. I am powerful. I am pack." Malik looked up at the wolf. "At least I used to be." Malik muttered bitterly as his gaze fell to the floor. Derek growled at the distaste in the original's words.

"Don't say that." The wolf spoke with force, surprising Malik as his sad whisky eyes flickered upwards to meet determined green ones. "Don't ever say you aren't pack. You've always been pack, even when we thought you were a human, you always helped. With every threat that the pack faced, you were there, you helped us win. You came up with the plans, you came up with all the ideas. Without you we would have all been dead and gone a long time ago." Derek was cut off with a deadly glare from across the room.

"I'm pack. Really? Are you serious?" Malik scoffed, taking a step forward. "If I was really pack then why wasn't I told about any of this? I could've helped. I could've stopped this from the beginning, but no. You decided, along with the rest of the pack I assume, that you all could handle it. Well guess what Derek? You couldn't!" The hybrid shouted as Derek took a step back in fear. Whilst Malik was shouting his face had morphed into that of a monster, his eyes were glinting a dangerous silver with veins cascading down his raging face as his fangs glistened maliciously in the moonlight.

Malik, shocked at Derek's reaction, saw his own reflection in the window. His eyes widening in disgust as the monstrous features faded. The original hung his head in shame. He didn't want to be like this. He didn't want to be a monster. He wanted to be better. For her.

"I'm sorry." Derek muttered, his gaze tracing the lines of his fingers with regret. "I should have told you. But the truth is..." the wolf looked up with a vulnerability in his green eyes that Malik hadn't seen before. The soft expression on the wolf's face showed the original that his barrier was down, the man before him trusted him enough to do this and that sent the hybrid into a sense of overwhelming uncertainty. The wolf took a deep breath. "The truth is... I... care, about you." Derek stated, his eyes wide at his own confession.

Malik gasped in shock, his chest felt tight as he took a sharp intake of breath. The world around him seemed to spin uncontrollably as a truth inside him seem to rise, something he didn't want to admit, something buried deep down, locked away for fear of what it meant. Malik took a step back, grasping onto the metal bannister of the bed for support. Derek moved forward to catch him, worry lacing his brows as he watched the hybrid falter in front of him.

Malik stopped the wolf, grabbing his forearm with a shaky hand he looked up at the Hale's concerned face. The silver and blue eyes of the two supernatural soulmates illuminated their faces in a soft glow as time stood still. Malik took in a shaky breath, his eyes watering as he spoke the words that would change everything.

"I think.... I think, I care about you too."

—————-

So here it is! I'm going back to school which means that this book may not be updated for a while as I need to focus on my school work so I don't fail my exams. It doesn't mean that it won't be updated for like four months as I'm nearly at the end of this book, and if I want to end it right I need to find time to sit down and plan it out in a way that I am happy with.
This may mean that the last chapters may take a bit longer to come out as I want to end this properly. I hope you all understand 🙂

I hope you had a lovely new year and let's hope 2019 is better than the last!