17: A New Start

"Perfect combinations are rare in an imperfect world" - Peter Hale

"Perfect combinations are rare in an imperfect world"  - Peter Hale

Three Months Later

It had taken a while but now they were here. They had found a place to move to, a small town in North Carolina, a nice sized house with a reasonable yard for the baby to play and grow up in. Lydia's bump was becoming more and more obvious each passing day, she had started wearing baggy clothing a while ago but Malik liked it when she showed it off. He was proud. Proud of her and the child. The child he thought he would never have in a million years.

Malik stood on the front porch of the Stilinski household as he had done nearly three years ago. Except this time Noah was standing in the doorway, watching the man in front of him with eyes filled with happy tears. There may be no real son of the Sheriff of Beacon Hills, but Malik was like a son to him in every way but blood. The one he never could have had with Claudia. And it made him so proud that Malik had decided to take on the name of Stiles Stilinski once they have moved. He claims it was just a way to stay low, and avoid unwanted attention, but Noah knew that it held a secret meaning known only to the original. And perhaps also to himself.

"Thank you Noah." Malik sighed, his hands in his denim jean pockets casually, his posture confident and held together, a stark contrast to the boy he was before. "For everything.... I really couldn't have done it without you." He looked behind him to the strawberry blonde who was having an argument with the delivery man, making sure he was careful with loading all the large cardboard boxes into the back of the truck. Malik smiled to himself as he watched Lydia's cheeks grow red with frustration, she was so adorable when she was annoyed.

"I'm going to miss you son." Noah sighed, crossing his arms over his chest as he drew the hybrids attention back to old man in the doorway. "Thank you so much for what you have done for me, God, I can't even think about the place I would've been in if you hadn't of found me. It would be a hell of a lot worse than where I am now that's for sure." The Sheriff chuckled lowly, wiping a tear from his eye, as he remembered the night that Malik had found him. He was at an all time low, it was the anniversary of Claudia's death and he had been drinking all evening. He was a mess back then. Noah had managed to deal with his wife's death so much better when Malik was around, he reminded the old man of her in so many ways. And now to see him with someone, to see the way he looks at Lydia the way he used to look at Claudia, it made his heart beam with pride and happiness.

"You two really are made for each other, a perfect combination, two parts of the same puzzle, just like Claudia and I used to be." The expression on the Sheriff's face turned solemn as his gaze fell to the floor. "It's going to be hard not having you around, with your sarcastic comments and annoying ass questions. It's not gonna be the same without you here-" His voice broke as the tears finally fell. Malik swept the man up in a tight embrace, tears of his own threatening to fall.

"I'm gonna miss you too dad." Malik whispered. He heard Noah's sharp intake of breath at his words. The simple three letter word that made all of this worth something. One man had found a son whilst the other had unintentionally found a father. The older man clung desperately to the originals shirt for a moment, before patting him fondly on the back, taking a step back into the house as he did so.

"Goodbye Stiles." Noah cleared his throat, composing himself as Malik did the same. He took a small set of keys out of his jean pocket and threw it towards the hybrid who caught it instinctively. Malik gasped at he what he was holding. The keys to the jeep. "Take care of her." The Sheriff smiled fondly. Malik looked down at the keys in shock for a moment before breaking out into a wide grin that spread from ear to ear.

"Thank you." The original whispered, wiping the fallen tear from his whisky eyes. He quickly shook his head and cleared his throat, before giving the old man a small salute and running down the steps from the porch.

"Goodbye Sheriff!" Malik called as he ran towards the stark blue jeep, unlocking the car door and jumping in. Lydia got in on the other side, nodding to him to tell her that the delivery truck was ready. He started the engine then looked out of the window one last time. "Remember to eat healthy!" Malik called as the jeep pulled out of the small driveway. "And stay away from any high fat foods! You know what that stuff can do to you!" He gave the Sheriff a knowing look, pointing his finger out at him accusingly. Noah laughed heartily at him.

"You'd better get going now or I'll chase you out myself!" He threatened lightly, waving his son away as he made his way back inside the old house, closing the door behind him. Malik smirked to himself as he pressed his foot down on the accelerator. He watched as the houses quickly became trees and the trees quickly became fields. He was finally leaving this place for good. Goodbye Beacon Hills. Hello new life.

————

SURPRISE UPDATE YAAAAAAASSSS!!!!!

Yay! So they're moving lol.... I know the pace of the book seems to have calmed down a bit but don't worry there will be another threat on the way soon enough, and I'll give you a clue..... they are a wee bit pissed at what happened in Mystic Falls a few months ago hmmmmmmmm