18: A Normal Life

"In every moment a choice exists. We can cling to the past or embrace the inevitability of change and allow a brighter future to unfold before us. Such an uncertain future may call for even more uncertain allies. Either way, a new day is coming whether we like it or not. The question is will you control it, or will it control you?" -Klaus Mikaelson

 The question is will you control it, or will it control you?" -Klaus Mikaelson

Four Months Later

North Carolina

Malik unlocked the door to his small suburban home in a town called Greendale in North Carolina. There was supernatural activity here but not to the extent of Beacon Hills, this town was filled with witches. He had befriended an old family of some a few centuries back and they had given him safe passing on this land, providing he kept a low profile. So here they were living a normal life, four months after leaving California, and their old life, behind.

The hybrid pushed open the dark oak door and placed the silver house keys on the cabinet in the entrance hall. After placing his bag down and taking off his coat, he made his way to the living room. Lydia was sitting stretched out on the sofa, a bowl of popcorn balanced on her large baby bump as she watched a film on the television opposite. He gave her a tired smile, as he leaned forward to kiss her gently on the forehead. He gave her pale hand a light squeeze before joining her on the leather couch.

"What're we watching?" Malik asked, snuggling closer to the banshee. He wrapped his arm around her waist, cradling the bump as he did so.

"The Maze Runner." Lydia replied as she placed another piece of popcorn in her mouth. "One of the characters looks like you ya know?" She smiled, flicking the hybrids nose affectionately with her finger. "Are doppelgängers a thing?" Malik smiled softly at her.

"Yes they are, but I am afraid there are only two I know of in existence, and I am not one of them." Malik took a piece of popcorn for himself. Suddenly the character -Thomas- came onto the screen. The hybrid furrowed his brows in thought. "Nah I don't see it to be honest." The two lovers laughed together as they continued to watch the film in content peace.

————-

Mystic Falls Virginia

Elena paced back and forth as she anxiously chewed on her broken down nails. She ran a shaky hand through her unbrushed matted hair, and rubbed her tired bloodshot eyes with the other. It was fair to say that she was not handling the death of her soulmate and first true love very well.

A knock on the door of the Salvatore Boarding House broke the doppelgänger free of her pacing. She took a deep breath before opening the spruce door and letting in the vampire outside. Elena took a nervous step back and cleared her throat in an attempt to seem put together. The vampire chuckled at her lie.

"Elena." The vampire greeted, shining her pearly white teeth at the human. Elena stared emotionlessly at the vampire, her small eyebrows creased in a tight scowl.

"Kathrine." Elena replied through gritted teeth. Katherine rolled her eyes and walked sassily into the entrance hall. Making herself comfortable on an old armchair as she swung her legs over one armrest, her tight leather skirt slipping slightly upwards as she did so. She inspected her nails for a moment before looking over once again at the still-scowling Elena.

"Oh quit being sour doppelbitch you called me here." Katherine exclaimed sassily. Elena wiped the frown off her tired face and followed the vampire into the larger room.

"I'm guessing you know why I called you here then?" She asked, raising an eyebrow as her replicate did the same.

"Of course, little one." Katherine sighed, looking back to her nails with a cold smirk. "Sweet, sweet revenge. My favourite pastime." The vampire swung her legs back onto the floor, leaning forward, an elbow on each knee, clasping her hands together as she looked onto the doppelgänger seriously. "You do know who you're messing with though don't you?" All amusement fleeing her voice.

"I understand that he's dangerous but we dealt with Klaus and Elijah, he can't be that much different." Elena retorted confidently placing her hands on her hips. The elder vampire laughed at her stupidity.

"I suppose you really are just a pretty face after all aren't you?" Katherine goaded, her expression amused but her eyes were cold, trapped in a dangerous memory of the past. "Malachai Mikaelson," She began, her voice deepening as she recounted her tale. "Or Mieczyslaw, as he went by back then, was taking a.... leave of absence from his family. I saw him in Warsaw, I was still running from Klaus so I knew not to get too close as he would recognise me as the doppelgänger, so I watched from the distance." Katherine's expression grew dark. "I watched him slaughter thousands of men. I watched him rip their hearts out of their chests and drain their bodies of every last drop of blood. He is a monster Elena. You should be careful." Elena raised her eyebrow in question, not believing the entirety of the story.

"Are you sure those men didn't deserve it?" The doppelgänger questioned, rubbing her arm nervously. "How do you know that they weren't all criminals?" Katherine laughed.

"That's rich coming from the girl who fell in love with both the ripper of Monterey and his serial killer brother." Katherine charmed back. "But for your information, yes they did deserve it." The vampire went back to inspecting her nails. "It hardly matters either way, he is capable of so much worse." Katherine stood up and made her way to the door, swinging her hips as her long curly brown locks bounced behind her. "My advice to you Elena, is don't mess with some one that loves as fiercely as Malachai. For you can never comprehend the lengths he will go to, to save those he cares for." Just as the vampire reached the door, Elena stopped her.

"So is that all you came here for? Not to help me take him down, but to warn me instead?" The doppelgänger asked, confused and annoyed.

"But what a warning it was." Katherine smirked viciously as she sped out of the house and into the night, leaving a very pissed off Elena Gilbert behind.

————

I HAVE A PLAN! I repeat I HAVE A PLAN! yas! finally arrggghhhh (okay I may only have a plan for the next four chapters but hey its something?!) Hope you're enjoying this book! xx