7: Family Reunion

"Your impulse, Niklaus. It has and forever will be the one thing that keeps you from truly being great." -Mikael Mikaelson

Malik walked ominously into the overflowing bar of Rousseau's

Malik walked ominously into the overflowing bar of Rousseau's. He stood under the cover of shadows waiting patiently. His eyes flickered over the occupants, glinting with menace. A frown crawled onto his features as he spotted a tall man with light brown hair, sipping from his drink at the bar.

A low growl erupted from his mouth as he looked upon the back of his father. A quiet anger bubbling up inside him as he gazed at the old man. He clenched his fists till his knuckles went white. His hands shaking with rage. His eyes flickered sliver for a moment as he moved forward, bracing himself for attack.

"Not now brother." The calm voice of his noble older brother filled his ears as a firm hand gripped his arm, pulling him back. Malik turned around to face Elijah, only to see the vampires attention guided elsewhere. Malik followed his gaze to the door of the bar. He froze when he saw Niklaus slowly make his way over to Mikael. Ordering a drink as he sat down next to his father.

"Father." Klaus mumbled, lifting his bourbon up to his lips. "What brings you to New Orleans? Wait don't answer that, I've got a feeling it has something to do with me and a white oak stake." Mikael didn't reply. He only took another sip of his drink, his lips curling into a small smile. Klaus gripped his glass tightly. "What have you done with her?" He growled.

"Done with who?" Mikael asked innocently, as a devilish smirk filled his wrinkled features. The glass that Klaus was holding smashed into a million pieces.

"HAYLEY!" He roared, turning to face his father.
His eyes glowed yellow, as black veins cascaded down from his eyes in rage.

"I have no idea what you're taking about." Mikael goaded. His blue eyes matching the monstrous gaze of his sons. "I don't know a Hayley." He placed his drink on the counter. "I am however in possession of a rather annoying brunette, who has the tendency to threaten anyone she encounters." His smile faded from his face as his expression became void of all emotion. "She thinks she's invincible. I'd like to disagree." Klaus' expression turned to one of horror.

"What have you done?" He whispered his eyes widening in worry. Mikael chuckled at the fear his son was showing.

"You were always so weak, boy. You get attached far too easily." He smirked as he stood up ready to leave the bar. "Your little hybrid is in good company, although I do wonder if she will be in good health for much longer." As he reached the door to the bar he turned around, facing his two sons hiding in the dark. "Your mother did always have a way with wolves."

Malik froze. His eyes widened in shock as he felt Elijah's hand fall to his side. His mother was alive. And she had Hayley. Without another glance to his brothers he sped out of the bar. Leaving a gobsmacked hybrid and a dumbfounded vampire behind.

~~~~~~~~~~

Malik sped from street to street, desperately searching for the mother of his niece. The sun was setting, he was running out of time. He sped into a dark alleyway, the stench of bourbon filled his nostrils. He rammed his fists into the hard brick wall in frustration. He ran his hands tiredly down the wall as he fell to his knees. Holding back the sobs forming in his throat.

He took a deep breath in an effort to calm himself. Breathing in the late afternoon air, until he caught something off. A scent. The scent of blood. But not just anyone's blood.

"Hayley." Malik whispered as he sped off, following the scent as it led him around New Orleans. He stopped at St Anne's church where the scent was the strongest. Without wasting another moment he burst through the two giant wooden doors, breaking them off their hinges as he did so. The stench of blood was overwhelming, he tried to suppress his vampiric side as he looked around the blood soaked church.

"MOTHER?!" Malik roared as he whipped his head around the room. His heart hammered in his chest as he looked upon the destruction before him.  A pale figure caught his eye. Curled up in a ball, behind one of the broken pews. Her brown hair matted with the blood that covered her body. A large gash ran down her side, slowly leaking black blood.

"Hayley." He whispered, leaning down next to the hybrid. She was breathing, barely. He pushed the hair out of her face as he cradled her head in his knees. "Hey look at me ok love?" He cooed. "You're going to be ok." Hayley slowly blinked up at Malik, a faint smile appearing on her chapped lips. A low chuckle was heard from the corner, causing Malik's whole body to tense in anger.

"She may be okay my son." A woman with long blonde hair walked out of the darkness. A small smile riding her features as she gazed upon her son. Ester Mikaelson walked over to Malik, placing a calming hand on his cheek. "But what makes you think you will be?" She asked innocently, as her expression turned stormy.

A low chanting was heard from the back of the church. A familiar incantation that sent unimaginable fear down Malik's spine. He recognised the language, something that he hadn't heard in many centuries, he could sense the ancient power seeping from each word. It was Japanese. He felt a sharp pain protrude through his skull. Sending daggers into his mind as he screamed out in agony. The last thing he saw was the devilish smirk of his mother, before darkness clouded over his vision. Sending him into yet another venture into the darkness.