24: Closure

"I'll tell you what I know about death, Camille. Death dances silently in everyone's shadow, and she doesn't give a damn. So why give a damn about her?" -Klaus Mikaelson

The wind whistled lightly in the cold autumn trees, as leaves danced down to the ground in small spurts of colour

The wind whistled lightly in the cold autumn trees, as leaves danced down to the ground in small spurts of colour. The soft grass, damp with morning dew curled around the ankles of the supernatural of Beacon Hills, as they stood, surrounded by dark stone graves. Their eyes watching the black casket in front of them solemnly.

Natalie Martin gripped the sides of the wooden stand in front of her for support. The small sheet of paper, written in blurry words seeming distant and wrong as she looked upon the picture of her daughter to her left, crowned in a ring of flowers as she smiled happily onto the mourning faces of those she had loved. The childless mother let a tear slip down her tired face as she looked onto the awaiting crowd. She needed to do this. For her.

"Ly-Lydia was one of the most special people you could ever meet." Natalie started, her voice breaking as she attempted to compose herself. "She was strong... Stronger than I could ever be." She looked down at the words on the sheet once more, the cursive lines twisting unnaturally before her in rows of snaking lies about the beautiful life of Lydia Martin.

Natalie crushed the paper in her hand, crumpling the words into a small broken ball. Letting out a breath of satisfaction, the elder Martin smiled out at the crowds confused faces.

"Words cannot begin to describe the person she was. Her life was tough but she did her best." Natalie smiled, content. "She had faced so much. Lost too much." Natalie's eyes flickered to Scott's broken face as his first love crossed her mind. "What we need to remember now is that she left the world with a beautiful baby girl. A girl that will grow up with stories of her amazing mother and her finest moments. The world is harsh and cruel. But what we need to do now is embrace it, as Lydia would have wanted."

Natalie looked towards Malik who was standing near the back of the crowd, his expression creased in a tight frown as his hands trembled trying to keep his emotions locked inside. She smiled lightly as Derek Hale placed his hand in his, stopping the trembling in a comforting gesture. He needed someone now, they all did.

"There was something Lydia said to me once that stuck." Natalie continued, bringing her speech to a close. "I'm smarter because of my mistakes." She started, her voice wavering as she repeated her late daughters words. "I'm happier because of the sadness I've known." Her glassy green eyes meeting Malik's whisky eyes in remembrance as she took in one last shaky breath. "I'm stronger because I had to be."

Natalie finished, swallowing lightly as she went down to stand with the crowd. She looked up to see Malik's wet cheeks, his barrier had broken at the words of his late lover. She walked up the hybrid, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder as they watched Lydia's casket get lowered into the dirt alongside her best friend.

They were together at last. The brunette and the strawberry blonde. The hunter and the banshee. Lydia Martin and Allison Argent were both finally at rest after what felt like an eternity of fighting. But they left someone behind.

They left him behind.

———-

Malik sat on the couch in Derek's loft, fiddling with his hands as he loosened the black tie around his neck. Running a tired hand down his face, he sighed, falling back exhausted onto the dark leather sofa.

A soft knock on the door caught his attention. The hybrid heightened his hearing at the unexpected sound. His whisky eyes widening as he heard two heartbeats on the other side, one stronger than the other, a soft familiar thump that he could recognise anywhere.

Malik stood up abruptly as the loft door slid open, the metal screeching in anticipation as the heartbeats were revealed. The original took a sharp intake of breath in surprise as his gaze landed on a tall blonde with a soft smile and kind blue eyes, cradling a bundle of blankets.

"Hello Mal." Rebekah greeted, the childhood nickname like sweet honey on her tongue as she beamed ear to ear. They hybrid sped up to her, giving her a genuine smile, the motion unfamiliar on his grief stricken face after so much anger and sadness. His attention, however, was on the small whisky brown eyes looking up at him from the bundle of pale pink blankets.

"She missed you." Rebekah whispered, handing over Allison to her father. Malik smiled as tears pooled in his eyes. He cradled his daughter softly, playing with her minuscule fingers as he laughed lightly. The first genuine laugh in over a week.

"Thank you." Malik whispered, meeting his sisters eyes. Rebekah smiled softly at him as a quick rush of wind alerted him to another's presence.

"It wasn't just her you know," Kol smirked smugly as he leaned against the cold metal doorframe. "I had to change a few nappies here and there. A few too many times if I might add." The vampire joked as Malik gave his younger sibling a hug, smiling gratefully.

"Thank you Kol." Malik whispered in the vampire's ear, pulling away as he gave him a pat on the back.

"Don't forget about us brother." Niklaus chimed from the doorway, as he stood next to Elijah and Freya with big smiles gracing all their faces as they were finally reunited once more.

"How could I ever?" Malik beamed with joy at his family. "Always and Forever am I right?" He asked playfully raising an eyebrow causing a chorus of laughs to fill the empty loft. Rebekah smiled softly at him, her blue eyes filled with tears of happiness.

"Till forever ends." She murmured, as her family surrounded her.