-12-

"Are you sure about this?"

BamBam and Yugyeom were currently hunching over Jinyoung as he furiously typed away on his computer. 

"Positive."

It was a long shot but it was a great offer, too. Jinyoung had been recruited to teach in Bern, Switzerland, one of the places he had always wanted to visit. His English was better than great, and his career would beam with this opportunity. 

He was offered the chance right on time, a week after he had broken up with he-who-shall-not-be-named. He typed away on his keyboard and filled out the application, ensuring he was verified to transfer. 

"I hope you're not just doing this to get away fr--", BamBam started but was cut off by Jinyoung's waving hand. 

"I-It's not about him. I just need a bit of time away."

"Yea, away from him.", the younger rolled his eyes. 

"Will you stop?", Jinyoung said, eyebrows furrowed. He continued to scroll through the screen, eyes squinting. 

"Uh...Past experiences that may affect work...?", he read aloud. 

"Mark-hyung~", BamBam teased once again, and this time Jinyoung ignored him. 

"Stop pestering him, Bam. It's his choice -- plus hasn't he mentioned teaching in another country?", Yugyeom defended Jinyoung as he searched through the elder's belongings, looking for anything helpful. 

"I-I think it'll be good for you -- not just mentally but career-wise." Jinyoung was surprised that Yugyeom actually supported his decision. Then again, he could just be rooting for him to leave the country. 

"I know, but...It's far, hyung. A-And you'll be away for years.", BamBam said, almost whining. 

Upon noticing his mood, Jinyoung spun his chair to face him, softening his gaze. 

"It's only a couple of years. It'll fly by."

BamBam could only nod in response, still a little upset at the thought of the elder not being around. To add onto it, it had only been a while since Jinyoung regained his memory so he had felt that his time to create new memories with him had come to an end.

As Jinyoung was about to reach for the younger's hand, Yugyeom spoke up.

"Uh, do you need this?", he asked, holding up a yellow post-it note with his right hand. Jinyoung stood from his seat, approaching to take a look.

"It's a note from him."

Jinyoung gently took the small piece of paper from the younger's hand, and sure enough it was a note from Mark from a long while ago 

Meant to BEAN, it read. Next to the words were drawings of two small beans with faces, hugging one another. It was the same night the two had gone out for their anniversary.

Jinyoung would do anything but admit that the small memory made him smile. He quickly tucked it away into his back pocket, rummaging through the box to change the focus. 

"Hyung.", he heard Yugyeom say. He only hummed in response. 

"Before you go, don't you think you should speak with him?"

Jinyoung stopped his movements, frozen on the spot. 

"I-I know what you're going to say--he doesn't deserve it, he took advantage of you, yada, yada. But hey, if you're gonna be gone for years, at least give the guy some closure. You know you'd want it."

~

Mark's heart raced rapidly. He shook his leg over and over as his eyes continuously searched all over for a particular young man. 

Jinyoung had asked him to meet by the lake which took him by surprise considering he was always the one chasing after the younger, who always chose to ignore him. He hadn't mentioned why he wanted to see him but Mark wasn't going to risk his chance by pestering him. 

He had arrived a half hour and chose a nice bench to sit on which he hoped Jinyoung would appreciate. He played with his fingers, twiddling his thumbs and continuously exhaling through his mouth. 

The sound of one clearing their throat made him look up. Jinyoung stood before him, hands in his pockets and refusing to make eye contact with the elder. 

Mark stood from his seat and kept at a safe distance as to not scare the other away. 

Jinyoung shrugged his shoulders, as if to say I don't even know why I'm here. Mark refrained from bringing his arms out to embrace the younger tightly and to apologize over and over again. 

"I-I hope you know," Jinyoung started still not looking Mark in the eye.

"That your lovely younger brother made me come here.", he said sarcastically, referring to Yugyeom. 

"I understand.", Mark nodded, waiting patiently for the younger to continue. For a while there was only silence; only the the sound of the water hitting the shore; the eagles soaring loudly over them; the faint sound of two hearts beating with anticipation. 

"Mark, I...I'm heading off to Switzerland tomorrow.", Jinyoung spoke softly. 

The elder's brows furrowed quickly, his heart dropped, his mouth agape. 

"I'll be teaching kids there -- i-it should be a great opportunity for me, they say."

To say that Mark was speechless would be an understatement. To him, he thought that day was another chance for him and Jinyoung, but apparently the odds weren't at all in his favour. 

"I-I'm not angry at you.", this time Jinyoung looked up to meet his gaze.

"Well, I keep telling myself I am but I guess I'm more--hurt. Selfish, I know. I also know why you did it -- I just can't bring myself to understand." 

Mark scratched his head, confusedly. 

"W-Will you come back?"

"Not for a while.", Jinyoung said with a soft smile, almost mocking the elder's pain with it. 

It took hard work for Mark to form a proper sentence, seeming that his eyes had already started to water and a lump had formed in his throat.

"I-Is there anything I can do to make you stay? D-Do I have to sit you down and explain myself over again -- I'll do it. Anything, Jinyoung.", he said hopelessly, almost desperately. 

In a way, Jinyoung had hoped that there was. That he, himself wasn't so stubborn and would just rethink the situation and his impulsive decision. However, the sorrow seemed to have masked it all completely for to him there was no way at that point. 

"Unfortunately, I don't think there is," he started. 

"But I need you to know that I-I'm sorry -- just as much as you are but for different reasons. I-I'll let you go. I'll let you make new memories with someone else.", Jinyoung said, no longer able to contain his tears which were now flooding out of him. 

He reached for both Mark's hands and placed them under his own chin, Mark who was now also becoming a mess of salty, bitter tears. 

"And I'm forever grateful for ours."

Jinyoung smiled sweetly after saying this, and closed his eyes to allow his tears to make their way onto Mark's knuckles. He mouthed a quiet 'goodbye', before slowly releasing his hold and walking away. 

This left the elder in an overwhelming condition, many thoughts running through his mind. 

Run after him, you fool.

Let him go.