-13-

ok listen to the song first before reading // YT - Kina Grannis 

btw this is it y'all 

--

"I really think you should take this with you.", Jinyoung's mother held a soft quilt in her hands. It was small to say the least. She and her own mother had sewn it before Jinyoung was born and he had spent his first year on this Earth wrapped up in it. It was designed with an oak tree and three birds sitting on one of its branches. 

They were packing up the last of Jinyoung's belongings before his flight later that evening. He had already gathered his clothes and essentials as well as the paperwork needed to be handed in at the new school board. 

"Ma, I'm too big for that now. Besides, when was the last time I've even used that?", Jinyoung softly spoke, gathering his favourite books. 

"In all honesty, you grew out of it not long after you turned one. But, it'll be nice to have it around, won't it?", she insisted. 

Jinyoung sighed heavily before approaching his mom and wrapping an arm around her. 

"Maybe you should keep it -- something to remember me by.", he suggested, a warm smile on his face. The older woman had used every fiber of her being to keep herself from bursting into tears. However, this didn't stop her from sniffling here and there.

She held onto his arm tightly, her eyes scanning his bedroom. It had been the place of refuge where he and his sisters would play and occasionally argue. A place of peace and warmth, all of which would only be sealed as a memory. 

"Ma, I'll be back. It won't be long.", Jinyoung whispered. As much as he looked forward to Switzerland, he knew deep down he would definitely miss his home. Along with his colleagues and friends and routine. 

"Why don't we have lunch together one last time?", he suggested, making his mother nod intently. 

~

The steam coming from the plate of Alfredo pasta was enough to make Jinyoung's mouth water, as well as make his mom's turkey sandwich look underrated. They simultaneously rolled their sleeves up, making each other laugh. 

"This'll be the last meal we share 'til a long time from now.", his mother spoke. 

"Let's not focus on that, right now. Just savour the time you have with me.", Jinyoung said, swirling the pasta with his fork. 

His mom took a small bite of her sandwich before changing the subject. "Mm, speaking of your remaining time -- I hope you had spent some of it clearing the air with Mark."

Jinyoung stopped eating abruptly, and stared at the glass of water in front of him. He thought about the conversation he had had with Mark the other day, and the sorrow he had seen in his eyes. He thought of the warmth and softness that Mark's hands had delivered when they made contact for a brief moment -- and the heaviness he felt in his chest when he left him by that lake. 

"Y-Yea, I-I spoke with him. S'all good.", he said quickly before proceeding to eat to avoid any more of his mother's questions. 

Seeing this, the elder woman dropped the topic and finished her own meal as to not disturb her already uneasy son. 

After having finished their lunch and reminiscing on the past, Jinyoung and his mother sat in silence, smiling softly at one another. As if to get one last good look before saying goodbye. Good luck finding another pretty face like mine, Jinyoung wanted to say but refrained as to not ruin the moment.