4

Present Day, Beyonce's POV

"So anyway, Lyndell and I went to homecoming together and we actually had a great time," I said as I showed Skai this old picture of us that I dug up.

"Yaaaaaaaaasssss mama work that polka dot dress! Those cut outs in the middle wooooo chile!" Skai said

"I will have you know that I was very stylish back in the day."

"Oh I believe you, you came to slay with that leg slit," she said as she snapped her hand in a circle three times."

I laughed, "As I was saying..."

November 1998

Lyndell and I walked hand-in-hand out of homecoming together. It was a great night! We won homecoming king and queen, which was no surprise, but still pretty cool, and we overall just had a lot of fun together with Kelly and her date Chris, one of the other guys from the basketball team.

As we were leaving, Chris asked us, "Yo, you're going to the after party at Letoya's right? I heard it's about to be crazy."

Lyndell and I looked at each other. "Lyndell, you should go. It's your last homecoming, don't let me hold you back." I would've rather him not go but we weren't boyfriend and girlfriend or anything so I had no right to tell him not to.

"Nah, I know it ain't really your thing, let's grab a burger or something," he said to me before turning to Chris, "We're gonna sit this one out Chris." My stomach filled with butterflies. I'd never seen this side of Lyndell before.

"Alright later, man," Chris said.

Kelly whispered to me, "I'm gonna go with Chris, if my mom asks, I'm spending the night at your place, okay?" I rolled my eyes and laughed at her, "I got you."

As she walked off with Chris I yelled after her, "Don't do anything stupid!"

She looked back at me, "I won't, mom!"

Lyndell looked at me, "Where to?"

I thought about it, "Jack in the Box?"

"You got it." He replied and we walked towards his car.

We got to the restaurant and found a booth once we got our food. I got a spicy chicken sandwich and he got a bacon cheeseburger. He bit into his burger and his eyes practically rolled back. "See, this right here is better than any after party." I laughed at him, he was right though, food is life.

"What was up with that, by the way? You're homecoming king, star athlete, it's your senior year, and you're gonna turn down the biggest party of the year thus far?"

He shrugged. "What? You're homecoming queen, head cheerleader, and it's your senior year."

"Yeah, but no one expects me to go to those things anymore," I said before putting some fries in my mouth.