Eighteen

Noelle

       I sat my work station up at the library, and got ready to spend my entire Sunday working on everything. It wasn't like me to start slacking on my school work but between working again and spending a little too much time with Ashton, I was a teeny bit behind. With it being about two months into my last semester of school, I wanted to do my best. I had turned my phone on silent and was just gonna work all night. I plugged my headphones into my phone and turned on some music as I made my way through the aisles of books, getting everything I needed.

I hummed along to the song while I typed my paper, completely eliminating the world around me. I had been there for about three hours and had already received multiple messages from Ashton, asking where I was so he could come see me. I ignored the requests to hang out considering if I told him, I would never get anything done. I did respond telling him I was okay and explained that I was studying, that I would like to be alone today and asked him to watch over Luna, which he understood and agreed to watch her.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and took my headphones out, smiling as I notice Ms. Diane standing there with a bottle of water and a muffin.
"You've been here all day and you finished your water about an hour ago. Here honey, you need to get some food in you." She whispered with a smile, handing it to me.
"Thank you." I smiled back, taking it from her. I placed the muffin on the side of my laptop and took a drink of the water, getting back to work. The whole time I sat there after that, I felt like someone was just watching me. I kept looking around but no one stood out to me. I just tried shaking the feeling, going back to my work.

I felt a chair move at the table I was sitting at and looked up from my book, catching my breath as Luke smiled at me. I politely smiled back and turned back to my work, avoiding him. I watched as little balled up pieces of paper kept hitting my laptop, or my book or even me at times. I removed my headphones and glared at him.
"If I wanted to be bothered while I worked, I would've stayed home and invited people over." I sassed quietly.
"Just wanted to say hi." He said, putting his hands up in defense.
"I'm working." I stated, putting my headphones back in momentarily before pulling them back out.

"Why are you even here? You're not even going to school anymore." I commented curiously. He smiled some and leaned in.
"Correction I am. Also I was still going online, but I'm taking a business class at that community college downtown. I'm gonna buy the music shop from Hector." He informed me.
"That's amazing." I smiled, extremely proud of him for actually going through with something. I didn't really have anything to say to him so it grew very awkward between us.
"I got a dog." He commented, obviously still wanting to talk.
"Oh cool." Silence once again.

I looked back at my laptop and he picked up one of my earbuds, placing it in his ear. I looked at him with a confused look as he listened to the music playing.
"I could hear it playing, I was curious." He shrugged as he took it out. I leaned back in my chair and shook my head, a smile plastered on my face.
"You've never been interested in my music. What's gotten into you?" I questioned him.
"What? It sounded good." He giggled.
"What's your dogs name?" I asked him.
"Petunia. She's the cutest." 
"I don't know about that, Luna is probably the cutest dog I've ever seen." I argued making him laugh. I took a deep breath, not realizing how much I actually missed that laugh of his.

"Maybe our dogs could have a play date." He suggested.
"You just want to hang out with me, admit it." I said, saving my work and closing my laptop. I placed my elbows on the table, resting my chin against my hands.
"Why would I want to hang out with you when your dog is so much cuter." I scoffed, making him laugh loudly. I could hear Ms. Diane walking over to us and smirked.
"You're in trouble now." I muttered as she placed her hands on the table, looking at both of us.