An Adoption

Ethan had to smile as he saw the list written by Atrey. It had his reviews of the people who wanted to adopt the 11 kids. Some of the reviews were plain mean like, " She doesn't want a kid, she was talking more about the allowances that would come with the kid than the kid itself, the bitch".

Ethan looked at the crowd of people, some of them has come as a family to collect the kids. It was not a giveaway or anything. Two of the children were already adopted and they have processed the documents for four more which is why the crowd is big.

He could see genuine smiles on their faces as they took the kids. With Koelev and Sali more focussed on work now as there has been an increasing number of attacks and tiffs between rogues, hunters and lone wolves, their own kids were now staying with relatives. 

When he heard that Atrey had come up with the bright idea to bring all the kids to the mansion. So they were all now in the hall turned nursery in the second floor. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Atrey looked at the five kids now in the hall. "So we lost four more among us today. But, we have to be happy for them because they found a new home and very soon you guys will too. I already know where two of you are going to and well, I am going to miss you all when you are all gone," said Atrey.

"You hav- chief," said the oldest among the children now they had here. Sivva was four and being a girl child helped and Atrey already knew which house she will be going to.

"Yeah well, the grumpy chief has a lot of work, but yes I will have him and he is nice too when he wants to be. The man is bipolar, I tell you, but he is still my man, so it is okay, I guess," said Atrey.

"Wha's bipola?" asked Sivva. 

"Well- " Atrey faltered. 

"Do tell them what bipolar' is," said Ethan who was standing at the door, eyebrows raised.

Atrey scowled.

"Ah, why don't we all spend some time with the Chief, he seems to be free," said Atrey and looked at Ethan.

"I will go bring their lunch, why don't you keep an eye on them Mr Bipolar?" teased Atrey.

"I and kids don't go well," said Ethan.

"This is how you learn to get along, now, please keep an eye on them," said Atrey and before Ethan could object he left.

--------------------------------------------

Ethan looked at all five of the kids. They were all a bit grown kids which is why the adoption was taking some time. People preferred babies. There were three girl children, Sivva, Teli and Vera. Both Sivva and Vera's adoption papers are almost complete. Teli's has reached the second stage, as Ethan was still doing a proper background check of them with King's and Iker's help.

Then there are the two boys, Tim and Eka. Tim's parents had died in a rogue attack while in Myrkovir and he was two years old now. A family with a son already has expressed their interest and Ethan was looking into it. Eka as his name suggested is a loner, a single unit in itself. Ethan knew his parents. They were the pack leaders of the famed pack of Vanta, which was destroyed by Gillin and his rogues two years back. He had taken the then baby from their house as requested by hid dying parents and handed him over to Sali.

The kid was broody and would sit in a corner all to himself. 

They were yet to find someone for him. Atrey came with the lunch and made all the kids eat it as Ethan sat watching.

"The food on your plate wouldn't eat itself," said Atrey, as he looked at Ethan who started eating and the kids were sniggering.

---------------------------------

Later, Ethan was in their room and Atrey stormed in.

"The audacity of some people!" he said as he sat on the bed.

"What happened? I guess the people who came to see Eka did this to you?" asked Ethan.

"Yes, the assholes, has some nerve speaking like that in front of the kids. Eka is apparently too grown up and too broody for them to handle, well, fucking big deal, they should have the manners to say it outside where only I can hear it and you are letting me write the remarks for them when we get any enquiries for any future adoption in their case," seethed Atrey.

Ethan was also angry hearing it. In a way, Eka reminded him of his own broody childhood. Even Zal and Iker were broody kids. He could relate. Atrey grumbled and finally looked at Ethan.

Ethan looked away.

"What is happening with the new survey you are doing?" asked Ethan. Atrey has been now focussing his energy on finding out who all would need better living conditions and was loaning out money without any interests. "Living in the midst of the forest yes, doesn't mean we can't live a civilised life in good living conditions" were his exact words as he began that project.  He was also taking great efforts to ensure that all the changes were forest and eco-friendly. 

Ethan had thought that his bond would be in the way of him doing his part for the lone wolves, but he couldn't have been more wrong about anything.

--------------------------------------------------------

Atrey held Tim in his hand and Teli on his side as they watched Vera and Sivva leave. Eka was silent and in the hall, refusing to leave it.

Atrey laid down an already asleep Tim on his bed and looked at Teli and helped her up to her cot too. Atrey then sat next to Eka. He has never spoken to Atrey. Hell, Sali says he never spoke to them, her or Koelov much. 

"Will you be talking to me anytime soon?" asked Atrey.

Eka shook his head and looked up at him stubbornly and Atrey smiled as he saw himself in there for a second.

He placed his hand around Eka and held him close. Eka fell asleep in his arms.

------------------------------------------------------------