Chapter 7

1st September 2009

It has been two months since we both became friends. I was so happy; I wanted to shout as loud as I can. Even though it has been two months we didn't talk much. We did not share a lot of things but we smiled at each other every time we crossed. The smile was not too big but it was a sweet smile indicating that we were friends. We know each other

I practically enjoyed my life and learned a lot of things about him, about his likes and dislikes. He loved the things that I hated the most but it didn't matter. It was impossible not to like him.

Moving around him became little bit easier for me. It didn't mean that my feelings towards him changed. It was exactly the same, the reaction, the blushing, everything.

He was talented and bold and faced the audience with confidence. But the first thing that I would do was to run away from there. Lots of singing contests came but I always preferred group singing instead of solos. Facing people while on stage made me shake and I would lose my voice. I have club today. I was eagerly waiting for the bell to ring at 2.30, so that I could go to the club to see him. Everything was going perfect like a fairy tale. I enjoyed every moment of it. The bell rang at 2.30. I ran to the club unaware that there was a shock awaiting me.

When I reached the club block there was no one there and I decided to enjoy the solitude. I was singing my favorite song to the rhythm of the music.

I heard someone coming. I stopped immediately and turned my head slowly to see who it was. It was Ming! I felt like a little child who got caught red- handed for stealing sweets. I turned red.

He was standing on one leg leaning against the wall, arms folded against his chest. Before he could comment on anything the others arrived. His friends looked tense. I thanked god for their arrival otherwise he would have teased me and I would not have been able to stand his teasing even though I enjoyed every second of it. He turned and gave me a smile before his friends pulled him out. I stood like a statue staring at him unmoving. The club was going well. It was 3.15. He read the names for the group and solo performances one by one. He read out a name and it sounded like my name. It took a moment for me to realise that he had read out my name.

I knew he would tease me. I knew he would play pranks later but I had no idea that he would ask me to do the solo. Why does he always do something different from what I expect? I decided to speak with him when the club was over. No, not when the club gets over. I will speak with him right away.

"Ming....." I called.

"Yes Kit .... Is there anything that you want to talk about?" he asked me.

"Yes. It is about the solo performance," I said.

"What is there to talk about it, everything is fixed you can't run away like last time," he said.

"I just don't think that I am good enough for it please." I pleaded with him.

"No Kit , You are doing it. I know you are good enough and I have heard your voice too. I am pretty sure that you are good enough," he said.

"I am just scared, scared to face the crowd," I said to him.

"There is nothing to be afraid of Kit , they are not going to do anything," he insisted.

"Please....." was all I was able to tell him.

"Ok" he said and left the place.

It was 3.30. Everyone left the club and I kept looking at him... Suddenly Ming's friend, Prem tapped him on his shoulder and looked in my direction. Ming moved towards me and his friend moved away.

He looked upset. I knew something was wrong but I didn't know that it was so serious as to upset Ming. He always had carefree expression but now his face looked serious...

Seeing him like this hurt me. The smile on my face faded. He moved fast towards me. He covered the distance between us in three long steps. His face was expressionless...

"What is it Kit ?" he asked and he smiled at me. I couldn't speak. I had to force the words out of my mouth.

"Nothing.... Ming" I said.

"My friend said that you were looking at me and I thought you had something to tell me," he said.

"Nothing Ming, Everything is fine," I said.

"Ok," he said and started to move.

"Ming" I called him and he turned back to look at me.

"Is everything alright? Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yes I am fine" he said and moved away without turning back.

I didn't know what happened but I just wished that everything should become alright so that I could see the smile on his face again.

I could not sleep that night. His serious face was haunting me. What was bothering him that much?