Chapter 10

14th September 2009

A week has passed after the performance. Ming almost came back to his normal self but I did not see him talking with Prem after that. I thought I should ask him about it but I was not sure how he would take it. I know he won’t let anyone near him. He always used to keep himself in check but anyway I wanted to give a try. I hurried to the parking lot wanting to catch up with him. He was there in the parking lot near my bike.

“Hi,” he said waving his hand when he saw me.

“Can I ask you something Ming?” I asked him hesitantly.

“Sure,” he said.

“Is everything alright between you and Prem?” I asked him.

“Yup... It’s alright, but why do you ask?” he asked me again.

“Nothing just asked, after that day, I didn’t see both of you talking,” I replied to him little worried.

“Sorry,” he said.

Why does he have to apologise to me? I can’t understand anything.

“Why are you apologizing to me? You didn’t do anything wrong,” I said to him.

“I was not able to respond properly to you that day. I was preoccupied by something else,” he said. He was upset. I knew it and if he still remembered it, surely something big had happened.

“It’s ok, I can understand,” I said.

“Thanks for understanding. I just came by to apologise,” he said and moved on.

“Ming,” I called.

“What is it, Kit?” he asked me.

“Can I ask you one more thing?” I asked him little hesitantly

“Sure, anything you want,” he said.

“Are you alright? You looked a little upset yesterday. I wanted to ask you that day itself but I knew that, it was not the right time to ask. I didn’t have the right to ask you. Can you tell me what the problem is? It is said that sharing our problems with others makes us feel better. I just wanted to help. Don’t misunderstand me. Even though you say everything is alright, you don’t look alright. Sorry to say this,” I said.

“Hey, nothing like that,” he said and kept quiet for some time. I had a feeling that if I waited, giving him space, then he would share with me for sure. So I waited with patience. After a long gap he started to talk.

“Just that my friend fought with me - little misunderstanding. He said that I had ratted on him but I never did that. He thought it was me who betrayed him. He didn’t believe me.”

Even though he sounded casual, I could see the pain in his eyes. I was not sure of what to say. All I wanted to do was comfort him but I was not very good at that. I wanted to tell him that I believed him whole-heartedly.

“Don’t worry Ming, everything will become alright. He will understand that it was not you. May be he was angry and took it out on you. He would have said it without meaning to. He is your friend. He would not have done it on purpose,” I said.

“That’s why it hurt me badly. He was my friend. He should have known that I am not that kind of guy. I will never do that to him. It’s he who betrayed me. I thought he will be on my side always but I was wrong,” he said.

“I don’t know what to say Ming, but I can say that not everyone thinks of you in that way,” I said.

He laughed but there was no life in that laugh “Can you tell me of one person who believed me,” he asked.

“I believe you.” I said it without thinking. Then I realised that I should not have said it. He was shocked to hear it. Before the words could embarrass me further I continued, “I know my leader Ming will not betray anyone and my leader is worth betting my life on,” I said He smiled though it didn’t reach his eyes. I could see that he was feeling better.

“Thanks, Kit , I actually feel better after talking to you,” he said.

“If you don’t mind, can you give me your number? Actually, I feel better when I talk to you,” he said to me. I was on cloud nine. . I gave it to him without hesitation.

We turned back to looked around. The parking lot was empty. It was almost 4. I lose track of time when I am with him.

“Bye,” he said and vanished.

I was feeling great after making him feel better. The thought of him asking for my number made me ecstatic, and the thought that he liked talking to me made me jump with joy.

What shape will our relationship take hereafter?