Chapter 19

19th November 2009

More than three week had passed and things were the same. Ming talked with me as always. Sometimes he came close to me and sometimes he kept a distance from me. I had no idea why he behaved this way. Was he afraid? He was not of that kind. May be he was not comfortable to show his emotions. No guy would reveal his emotions to anyone as far as I knew. I had a theory about it but I don’t know how far that was true.

If I asked why he was restless, he would not tell me anything unless he wanted to and I didn’t want to push it and I was afraid to push it. Pressurize-sing always breaks relationships and I was not ready for it. I don’t want to get into his personal space until he allowed me to. May be I was not that close to him.

It was interval and Ming came to me running. It looked like he was happy.

“What is it Ming?” I asked him.

He was panting heavily and I waited for him to catch his breath.

“What happened, Ming you look so happy?” I asked him again.

“I got selected, Kit . I got selected in a singing completion and it goes on for a week and every school and college student will be coming. It’s my dream and I have been trying for it for so long and I finally got it. I am very excited; Kit  and I wanted you to be the first person to know it.”

I was happy for him but being there without him for a week hurt me. It made me feel pain. Oh shut up, Kit  it’s not the time to be selfish. Look how happy he is, I said to myself.

“Oh congratulations, Ming, It is what you waited for, for so long right? I always told you hard work never goes in vain. I know you can do it. Go break a leg Ming, you will win for sure,” I told to him with enthusiasm in my voice.

“Thanks, Kit . This is what I like about you, you always encourage others,” he said, his face glowing. I have never seen him this happy. I could feel the intensity. I was able to feel how important it was to him.

“When is the competition, Ming?” I asked him.

“I am leaving on Sunday night and will return on Saturday” he said.

“Only two days left?” I asked him, stunned.

“OH!!!! Yes Kit , I can’t wait anymore” he said and he was happy.

“OK” I said to him. I was able to say only that.

He left my corridor and I stood staring after him. Being there without him was going to kill me but I didn’t want him to know about it.