Chapter 25

26th December 2009

It was three thirty in the afternoon. Ming did not come to school. I had no idea why he didn’t show up. I had a strange feeling that he was moving away from me. What could be the reason? Did I do something wrong? Or was it a figment of my imagination? I was not angry with him I was confused.

He had asked me to wait after the club but didn’t show up. Did he come to school? I didn’t know that too but I didn’t see him from the morning, not even in his usual place.

I thought he wanted to talk with me. I had asked my father to drop me in school so that I would walk home with him but fate decided that I had to walk alone. Walking never hurt me but walking without him hurt me.

What might be the reason for his absence? He was a perfect and brilliant student. He didn’t bunk class. He didn’t like to be irregular. May be he was sick today or too tired or he needed rest. I didn’t know how to take it. May be reaching home would get me the answer I had been waiting for.

I walked lazily towards my home thinking about him. The door was locked and my mom kept the key in the usual place. It was little high for me to reach it. I took the key and unlocked the door. The house was dark. My mom hadn’t return from work yet. I switched on the light and sank on the couch. I closed my eyes wanting to relax a little. My legs were aching from the long walk. The walk seemed even longer without him.

Some sweet melody was playing in my head. The tone was like a lullaby to me. Hearing it made me relax. The sweet melody repeated itself in my head. I tried to play some other music but I was not able to concentrate on anything. Each time the melody was getting louder and louder. The sweet music filled my heart and soul. It took me some time for me to recognise it.

“Holy crap,” it was my cell phone. How the hell could I have forgotten my ring tone? I rushed to my room to attend the call.

“Ming,” I said, panting.

“Sorry Kit , I was not able to make it today. I had some work at home and my mom asked me to take off from school. Was not able to avoid it, sorry,” he said and cut the call.

He did not even wait for me to reply. He did it all the time. It was not strange to me but taking off because his mom asked him to was strange. It didn’t sound like him. He never took off, that too not because someone else asked him to. I didn’t want to dig deeper. I felt that it was better if I left it. Thinking about it would give me nothing but a headache. I didn’t receive any call or text from him after that. I didn’t want to text him too, without knowing the situation. I waited patiently for his text.