Chapter 12

22nd September 2009

I just tried every possible position that would make me to fall asleep but everything was in vain. I finally ended up sitting on the bed hugging my pillow. It was 12 on the clock. I still could not fall asleep. My phone vibrated. I picked up the phone and looked into the display to see who it was. My eyes widened looking at the name. It was Ming. Why does he call me at this time? I pressed the green button.

“Hello,” I said.

“Hi Kit , its Ming,” he said.

“Hi Ming, what’s up?” I asked him, still confused.

“Happy Birthday,” he said.

He knows my birthday. How did he know it? Not even Rome knows my birthday. But how did he come to know?

“Thanks,” I said.

“Meet you in school, Kit ,” he said and hung up...

*

I went a little late to school.  I was wondering how he came to know about it. I was looking down at my feet and walking. Someone called my name. I recognised the voice immediately. It was Ming. I turned around to see him. He was standing in the place where I used to park my vehicle.

“Hi Ming” I said.

“Happy Birthday” he said once again.

How the hell did he come to know about my birthday?

“Thanks Ming but how did you come to know about my birthday? No one knows it” I asked him.

“I know,” he said with a smile on his lips.

“Please Ming, tell me or my head will burst” I said to him pleading.

“Just give it a guess Kit ” he said.

“No Ming, just tell me” I said

“I just saw it in the club record,” he said.

“Oh!” was all that I was could reply.

“Hmm…Kit , I would like to talk to you. Would you like to sit with me in the lunch hall this afternoon?” he asked. I just nodded my head. I admired him. I was pulled like magnet towards him. I don’t know why and I never want to find the answer. I liked the unfamiliar feeling.

I was waiting for the lunch bell to ring. When I heard the ringing sound I was the first one to get out of the class. I moved fast. I entered the lunch hall. He was there sitting in the corner seat at the end of the hall. He was alone. He has never been alone as far as I know. He was always surrounded by his group of friends. He was sitting with his legs crossed, his hands on his cheeks. From the way he sat, I can bet that he was deep in thought. I moved towards him.

“Hi,” I said.

He jerked up, saw me and smiled.

“Hi Kit ” he said.

“Why are you alone? You have never been alone, you usually sit with your friends,” I asked, hoping that he would reply. He just laughed and said

“I just wanted to spend some time with you on your birthday, my special friend, with whom I have became close in a short amount of time”

I am his special friend. How can that be? I did nothing to him, not even helped him in anything but he did lots of things for me. He made me realise that I am much more than what I think about myself. He gave me self- confidence. He helped me overcome my inferiority complex. He gave me the strength to fight. These thoughts ran through my mind as he spoke to me. He continued.

“I just wanted to say thank you.”

Why does he thank me? If someone is about to say thanks then it should be me not him.
“Thank you, Kit  you were there for me when I was broken. When I had no friends.”

He was there for me when no one was there for me. When I thought that I was nothing more than an object which occupied space. Why he is saying the things that I should say?

“If you were not there at that time, I would have probably gone mad by now. You made me realise lots of things in life.”

What the hell is happening here? He saying the things that I should say to him. My head was spinning. I couldn’t say anything. All I could do was listen to him.

“But I have given you nothing. All I did was teasing you and spoke ill of you without knowing anything about you. I just feel sorry for that now. Sorry Kit .”

He had no idea how good his teasing made me feel. It made me feel good. I just couldn’t take it anymore. I opened my mouth to talk but he gestured with his hand.

“Let me finish, Kit . I just asked you to come here today, to ask you something but I don’t know where to start.”

Is he feeling shy to ask me? He had never been a guy who would stammer that to not with a girl like me. No matter what he asks, I will just give it to him without even knowing the question.

“If I say something wrong, don’t take it bad”

Why am I going to think like that? Even he asks for something wrong, I would not think wrong of him. He still has not realised how crazy I am about him. I couldn’t blame him anyway because I have never showed the feelings that I have for him.

“Will you be my friend?” he asked.