Not Over You

Highschool -- a time where everything was easier. An unforgettable time for some people and the worst for most. But no matter how good or bad it all was, they had made many memories within the span of 4 years.

It was a time for building friendships and relationships. And Peter Parker and Michelle Jones were no exception to these. They had started dating since junior year, a year after Liz transferred. It all ended before their graduation day though. They planned on going to different universities and they knew they weren't able to make long-distance work anyway. And for a full year, they did not talk. Little did they know that fate had much better plans for both of them.

      Michelle went to a random Starbucks on a Saturday a little ways outside of her school. Peter had been in town where she was and went to the same Starbucks.

She bumped into a guy as she grabbed her order of coffee. "Sir, I'm so so sorry. She spilled some on his shoe. "I'm really sorry--" She looked up at him and was startled by his brown eyes. She couldn't believe it was the same pair of magnificent brown eyes she'd ever seen.

He stood there, recognizing the gorgeous details of her face. She hasn't changed one bit, he thought. She was still the most beautiful girl he had ever laid eyes on.

  She snapped out of the gaze. "*Ahem* Excuse me, sir." She dismissed him.

  "Wait," He held her wrist gently. "Can we.. talk? Please? I miss you." She noticed that his voice got deeper. It calmed her and she nodded silently.

  "So," She said as they sat on their table. "What.. uhh.. have you been doing?"

  "Well, not much." He chuckled awkwardly. "I mean, I have a girlfriend." He lied. (He was much better at lying now.) He had thought she was in a relationship already and he didn't want to be left out. But that wasn't the case at all. The expression on her face was not what he was expecting, but he wasn't even sure what he was expecting at all. Good for him, he really does deserve better, she had thought.

  "Tell me more about her." She asked nonchalantly.

  "No I.. No..." He chuckled nervously.

  "Come on." She grinned and pushed his hand.

  "Okay, umm.." He had thought quickly of a backstory for his fake girlfriend. "Her name is Chloe. We met at the first day and we became best friends. And as time went on, we became more than friends." He suddenly had second thoughts about lying. But he knew it was too late to take it back.

  "Oh, well I wish the best for the both of you." She took a sip of her coffee.

  "Well how about you? Don't you have a boyfriend?" She silently shook her head. He immediately regretted lying about his fake relationship. "Oh."

  "I'm not prioritizing it right now, though. I think I'll date after college. But," She leaned in a bit. "What about Spider-Man? Done anything exciting?" She whispered.

  "Heh, well, I have been investigating on this one thing.."

  "You know, I really miss our investigations together."

  "Yeah, me too." They looked at each other's eyes and it seemed like the past year didn't even happen. All the feelings came rushing back, and Michelle didn't want that. But Peter did. Oh he really wanted to take it all back.

  "Anyways, what brings you here?" She asked, breaking the gaze between them.

  "Well, I was just in town and decided to get a cup of coffee, which I haven't actually done yet."

  "But, why are you in town?"

  "I was gonna meet up with some people here so.."

  "Oh, I didn't realize you were in a hurry."

  "No no! I wasn't in a hurry at all, they're actually running late and they said to meet here so.. there's that I guess."

  "Well, seems like we still have time to kill." She said, letting the 'we' slip out.

  "'We'? I didn't know that still existed." He said jokingly, but she felt embarassed and her cheeks went red.

  "Well, it technically doesn't. But, what I meant is just.." She couldn't form words and fiddled with her fingers instead. "You know what, nevermind. Forget we even had this encounter." She stood up from the table.

  "Hey, I was kidding." He held her hand. "What did you mean, again?" The look he was giving her was something that she could never resist. He always gave that gentle look whenever she refused opening up to him. She sat back down.

  "I just wanted us to.. I don't know.. Hang out, I guess?"

  "Isn't that what we're doing right now?"

  "Well, do you want me to show you around? After all, we do have a lot of time to kill."

  "Sure."

      They went to a few of the landmarks in the city and unexpectedly had an amazing time. Halfway through the mini-trip, they had forgotten all the bad things they went through. It suddenly took them back to when life was easy and simple and they had no care in the world. They were there together, enjoying each other's company.

They had stopped in the community park and sat on the bench.

  "Thanks for showing me around." He said to her with a smile.

  "You're welcome. Feel free to come back anytime." She smiled back. That's when reality hit both of them and the tension kicked in. Suddenly, Peter's phone vibrated and received a text. "Is that your girlfriend?" She asked.

  "No, actually. The people that I was supposed to meet up with cancelled the meeting at the last minute."

  "Oh. So I guess you should be back on your way now."

  "I should, but I'm not going to." He softly said.

  "Why not?"

  "I wanna stay for a while."

  "But what about your girlfriend? She's ought to be pissed at you right now."

  "Actually, I.. lied."

  "Huh?"

  "About the girlfriend thing. I don't have a girlfriend."

  "Why would you lie about that?" She didn't know what kind of emotion she was feeling: Anger? Happiness? Betrayal? She felt all of these things all at once but had no idea how the tone of her voice sounded when she asked that which left Peter puzzled.

  "I thought you were in a relationship and I just didn't want you to think less of me."

  "Peter, I would never think less of you. You're such an amazing guy. And having to lie about being in a relationship is literally the weirdest thing for you to do."

  "I know, and I'm sorry. It's just that... I.."

  "You.. what?" He put his hand over hers.

  "I miss you, so so much. I honestly don't even remember why we broke up. We never fought that much or disagreed on a lot of things, and we always stuck by each other's side, no matter what. We could have made long-distance work, it was really possible. I regret not even trying."

  "Peter.."

  "Michelle, please. I believe we can make this work. I miss you, I really do." He encased her hand in his. "Let's kick long-distance's ass, together." Michelle bit her lip. There was a part in her that really knew it would work, yet a part of her didn't want to try. She pulled away.

  "Peter, I love you." Her eyes started to water. "But every minute of separation is gonna hurt. I don't want you to get hurt, and I just want the both of us to be happy, even if it means not being together."

  "Michelle, this is what'll make the both of us happy. I just know it. Let's at least try."

  And after a while, she finally replied. "Oh fuck it, let's kick long-distance's ass!" She said as she lunged at him and gave him a hug.

  "That's the Michelle Jones I know and love."