Chapter 26

EDITED

"Honey." His mother called him and he looked back. "You said it was Sonia's birthday today, right? I was thinking, maybe I should gift her some-

"No, I don't...won't that be weird?" He frowned, putting the phone back in his pocket.

"Do you think it would be?" Julia said.

"Yeah, I mean...we don't really know her that well and maybe, possibly, it can be awkward for her." He said, looking away.

"Why are you acting like that?" His mother frowned. "Is everything okay? Whose call was that?"

"I am fine. It was...Gina." He said and his mother looked at him with affection.

"Oh darling, why are you...I just don't understand." She sighed, shaking her head.

"I...love her Mom." Drago just said shrugging and looking down.

"I know. I know you've always loved her but can't you see, she does not appreciate you at all! She knows about your feelings and I know, that doesn't make it an obligation for her to love you back but still, she should at least respect them. Not insult them by flaunting her new boyfriends in your face every time! And-

"Mom, please-

"No, let me say this please. I don't like it when my son is hurt. And she's...don't you remember how she has used you so many times? She uses your money to enjoy cruises, vacations, hotels and whatnot, with her new boyfriends, in the name of friendship! And after they leave her, she comes to crying here and you spoil her with more cruises, vacations and hotels! I get it, she's your friend as well but I fail to understand how you fall for all that and still be called the most successful businessman in five years in twenty magazines!" Julia said in an exasperated tone, shaking her head.

"Mom!" Drago said with surprise. "Don't say like that, ple-

"Stop it." Julia said and walked up to her son. "I was not going to tell you this but I have to now. A few months ago, Gina's boyfriend proposed her for marriage."

"What?" Drago's face lost its color in a matter of seconds.

"And she said yes. But they broke up, her Mother told me." Julia said. "I am telling you this because, darling, she is not coming to you anytime soon. She was all ready to marry someone else and I am not complaining, it's her life, she can marry whomever she wants but I don't think it's going to be you. You have spent so many years loving her and I never questioned it but now, I am. Honey, you have to move on. You haven't gone on one date in the last, I don't know, five-six years! All you do is work and wait for her! But, but, you went on two dates in the last few weeks, with Sonia-

"Mom, it is not what you think!" Drago interrupted his mother.

"Why not! Why can't it be what I think? I am not telling you to just marry the next woman you meet! I am just telling you to, at least, meet someone new. Start looking for something! Love is not supposed to give you so much pain darling. It's supposed to be bittersweet. But with Gina, it's all bitter and it's all only for you. And that is not fair." Julia ended slowly and cupped her son's cheek.

Drago sighed as he saw his mother walk away with her shoulders down and glassy eyes. He gulped slowly and looked away, only to see his father standing in the hallway.

"Do what you want. But before that, make sure what you want." Orlando said simply and followed his wife.

Drago looked as his father left too and he felt like a weight was on his chest. He never knew that his Mom was so affected by his consuming feelings towards Gina. He knew his parents never liked her and he always used to wonder why. But maybe it was because he had always looked at her from his point of view, as a boy looks at a girl he fancies. He never saw Gina from his parents' eyes but then, he never felt the need to. But today, after his mother said what was in her heart for the first time, he had to stop and think.

Did Gina really use him? Does she still? He knew that she knows all about his feelings, since ninth grade but never reciprocated them. He was absolutely fine with that; he was happy to wait for her. She never acknowledged them or talked about it too but he was still okay; maybe she felt awkward. But did she really not respect them? He always thought that she will be with him in the end but her saying yes to marry someone else clearly indicated that she had no feelings for him. So, for whom was he waiting?

--

"I am so sorry darling that we couldn't be there on your birthday!" Sonia's father said as she tried to balance the phone between her shoulder and ear while arranging some files.

"It's okay Dad. We will celebrate once I am back." She said as she put the files in order.

"So, what did you do yesterday? I suppose you worked the whole day. I can't believe my daughter ate alone on her birthday." Her mother said next and she chuckled.

"Yes, I did work the whole day but I didn't eat alone!" She said before she could stop herself.

"Really? So, whom did you eat with, huh?" She heard her sister ask in a suggestive tone. "Was it a hottie from the construction site?"

"No! It was not...he does not work at the site!" Sonia said as she put the files down quickly and took the phone in her hand.

"So it is a he. That's nice." Her sister said.

"You went on a date?" Her mother asked at the same time.

"Who is he? Did you go out with a stranger?" Her father added quickly.

"It is a he. It was not a date and he is not a stranger." Sonia explained slowly and sat back.

"So, who is he?" Her father asked again. "I hope you know where he lives because you have to send his address to me right now. You know it, right?"

"I know where he lives, I've been there." She said without thinking again.

"You have been to his house?" Her sister gasped. "Wow, he has to be a super hottie if my sister went to his house!"

"Honey, did you-

"No Mom! I didn't go to his house for, what you guys are thinking I went for. It was work stuff and he wasn't even there first so I just met his Mom and-

"You met his Mom!" Her sister interrupted dramatically. "I am calling all my friends; my sister is getting married!"

"Shut up!" Sonia shouted and sighed. "It is nothing like that! It was not a date, he is not a prospective groom, he is not even a friend...I mean, he is a little-

"Who is he?" Her father asked once again, in an authoritative tone this time, meaning she had to answer now.

"Drago Barzetti." She said simply and slowly.

"You went on a date with Drago Barzetti?!" Her family screamed, gasped and shouted at the same time as Sonia just groaned loudly.

--

I do not own the picture. Credit goes to owner.