Chapter 46

EDITED

The next morning, the rush in Sonia's house was something to look at. People ran from one room to another, maids and butlers taking boxes and packets of gifts and flowers from the living room to the many cars waiting outside.

Sonia was trying to get ready as soon as possible while her Mother hovered around her, packing anything which they might need later. Her father had already left for the church an hour ago to see the arrangements and Tara had called to inform that she and her family had left twenty-minutes ago.

"Come on, hurry up!" Sonia said as she walked out with her dress in a bag, her heels dangling in her fingers. "Alexa, what are you doing!"

"I am just...eating, I haven't eaten...anything since six am and...it's nine-thirty now!" Her sister grumbled as she tried to finish a sandwich and an apple together.

"You are not even dressed yet! Whatever, we don't have time. Just wear your dress directly at the venue!" Sonia said and picked an apple for herself.

"What are you talking about? I can't reach there in my unicorn pajamas!" Alexa grumbled and ran towards her room. "Give me five minutes!"

"Mom! I am leaving!" Sonia shouted as her Mother came rushing, trying to wear her earrings as she walked.

"Can you put this on me?" She said and put a thin, diamond necklace in Sonia's palm.

"Wear it in the car." Sonia said and pocketed it in her skirt. "Alexa!"

"I am going out, come quick!" Her mother said and walked out as Alexa came running out of her room in jeans and a bright red top.

"Let's go!" Sonia said as they quickly left the house.

--

Drago rushed out of the airport as soon as his flight landed. He had already booked a car and was on the road fifteen minutes after leaving the plane.

"How much time will it take...to reach this place?" He asked the driver impatiently.

"Around two, maybe two and a half-hour." The man on the wheel said.

"Can we not reach...can you drive faster please?" Drago said and the man shrugged.

"Sorry Sir, it's peak traffic hours. Nine am, office hours. But once we leave the main city, it'll lessen down a bit." The driver informed and Drago sighed.

He took out his phone to check any messages. There were a few, one from his parents, three from Tisha and five from Tara. There was even a missed call from Tara from thirty-five minutes ago, when he was rushing to the airport gates.

Tara

Where are you?

Did you reach NY?

Do you want me to send a taxi?

Why aren't you replying?

I am going to be very, VERY busy after nine, so talk to me right now!

The messages were an hour old and it was already nine-twenty. Drago had been too busy to prepare what he would say to Sonia that he hadn't got time to check his messages. He sighed before replying.

I reached and am in a taxi.

Is everything okay there?

Did the wedding start already?

He sat there in silence, waiting for a reply but in vain. Minutes changed into hours and there was no reply.

"Sir. Sir?" Drago woke up to his driver's voice.

"Yes?" He said and cleared his throat.

"We'll be reaching in five minutes." He said and Drago nodded, sitting up and shaking his head slightly to wake himself up.

A few minutes later, his car stopped at a beautiful church and Drago got down after paying. Taking a deep breath, he started walking to the gates. He could see the lawn outside the church was decorated with white, sheer curtains and a tent, decorated with pink lace, white ribbons, pink and white roses and green leaves was erected as well but there was not a single person to be seen. Did the wedding already start? 

He wondered and fastened his pace as his throat went dry at the thought.

"Excuse me Sir." He was stopped by a burly man wearing a black suit.

"Yes?" He said impatiently.

"You here to attend the wedding?" The man said and Drago nodded. "Where is your invite?"

"I...I don't have it." He said and he could suddenly hear the church bells ring. His heart beat quickened.

"Then you can't go in, I am sorry." The man said, shaking his head.

"You don't understand." Drago said and the church doors opened. "I...I know the bride. She's my friend."

"I am sorry Sir. It's the rules. No one can go inside without an invite." The man said and Drago took out his phone to call Tara but she didn't pick up.

"Okay, if you don't believe me, you can come with me." Drago said and the man shook his head.

"Sorry Sir, we really cannot let you inside. It's a matter of safety." The man said and Drago tried to think.

"Frisk me!" He said and the man frowned.

"What?" He said.

"If you think I can be dangerous, frisk me. I have no weapon on me!" Drago said and stood with his arms open.

"I can't Sir. You'll have to wait here until the wedding is over and someone can come here to receive you." The man said and Drago sighed.

"I cannot wait until the wedding is over! Don't you understand, I have to go in-

He was cut by the sound of loud cheers and looked at the church doors. One by one, people, dressed in beautiful gowns and tuxedos, walked out of the church and gathered at the stairs.

"The wedding is over Sir." The man said and Drago gulped slowly.

His heart sank to his stomach as he saw the bride and groom walk out of the church, hand in hand. He couldn't see properly due to the tears in his eyes and the groom, who was indeed Liam Carter in a tuxedo, Drago knew the man from many business magazines, dipped down to kiss his bride as everyone cheered around the newly-wed couple.

--

I do not own the picture. Credit goes to owner.