Chapter 44

EDITED

"I think my phone isn't working." Tara said as she locked and unlocked her phone impatiently.

"Why's that?" Sonia frowned as they sat down in their respective seats in the airplane.

"I am not getting any messages!" Her friend mumbled and Sonia chuckled.

"Are you waiting for a particular message because your phone just pinged with a notification and you did not check it." Sonia said and Tara looked at her.

"No, nothing in particular." She shrugged.

"Anyways, you have to put it on airplane mode in ten minutes." Sonia said as she put her bag in the overhead compartment.

"Oh shoot." Tara mumbled before discreetly typing a message and sending it.

We will be flying in ten minutes. Let me tell you, you still have time. Bye.

Message sent to Drago Barzetti

Putting her phone away, all Tara wished was some happiness for her friend.

--

Drago had just walked out of the conference room and into his cabin when his phone notified him of a message.

He didn't want to look at it, he knew it must be Tara. Remembering the flight details she had sent last night and looking at the time now, it was around time their flight must be leaving. At this moment, all he wanted was to rush to the airport and stop Sonia, to just at the least, tell her how he feels but it took all his strength for him not to do that. He cannot just go there and tell her that he...when she is going to get married to someone else!

"It's fine." He mumbled to himself. "It's okay. She will leave today and you'll be upset but you will get over it...over her. Just give it a few days or weeks...maybe a month or two will do me good."

"Why are you talking to yourself?" His father's sudden voice startled him.

"Oh Dad! I didn't see you there!" Drago said as he sat down in his seat. "What are you doing here?"

"Just wondering." Orlando shrugged and sipped his tea.

"Wondering? What?" Drago frowned.

"Wondering what the heck are you still doing here. Wondering why aren't you at the airport?" Orlando said calmly and Drago blinked.

"Uh...what's today, why should I be at the airpo-

"The woman you love...is leaving the country...to get married...to someone else." Orlando explained slowly as if his son was a four-year old.

"I have already told you...that I don't want to ruin anything-

"Fine. If you have already taken a decision, who am I to say anything." Orlando said and stood up.

"Dad, I-

"No, I understand. All I wanted was for you to give yourself a chance. When it was Gina, you did everything to get her attention, spoiled her with whatnot even though she never reciprocated your feelings and now when it's Soni...Alessandra, who you claim to love and who returned your feelings, you are not even trying." Orlando sighed, sounding disappointed. "I understand you don't want to upset her but you have to talk to her. She will get upset, but at least she will know what you feel. And she will choose. Simple. And for that, you have to make yourself an option."

Orlando left after saying what he wanted, leaving Drago speechless.

--

"Oh my God, you look...amazing!" Sonia's mother laughed with joy in her eyes as Sonia walked out of the dressing room, in a stunning, ivory-silver faintly-embroidered silk gown, which cascaded beautifully on her body. The dress showed her pale shoulders and neck which was void of any jewelry. With only tiny silver earrings and a thin-diamond studded band on her finger, she looked like a fairy with her French-braided up-hair-do and shiny pink lips.

Sonia chuckled, her cheeks pink in joy as she bit her lower lip softly. Her mother cupped her cheeks and kissed her head as Tara walked in the room.

"Guys, everyone's h...oh my God, you look freaking...stunning!" Tara said slowly with widened eyes as Sonia grinned.

"Thanks." She said and took a deep breath before looking at her mother. "I am nervous!"

"Oh honey, don't be! Everything's going to go great! Trust me!" Her mother said with confidence and Tara nodded.

"Okay, now let's go. Everyone's here. Are you ready?" Tara asked and Sonia nodded and sighed deeply.

"We are coming." Tara said in the bluetooth in her ear as Sonia's father entered the room.

"Darling, are you ready, we...oh my." He stopped mid-sentence as he saw his daughter in a wedding dress. "Oh I can't believe this."

"Dad." Sonia whispered with tears in her eyes as her father hugged her.

"Okay, don't hug her too tightly or the makeup will be on your coat rather than being on her face." Tara said quickly as the father-daughter chuckled. "Are we ready?"

"Oh wait, your flowers!" Sonia's mother gasped and quickly took out the flowers from the small fridge. "Beautiful!" She said as the blood-red roses looked ethereal against Sonia's white gown.

"Okay, are we ready? Whatever, we are ready! Let's go! You have to come out in five seconds." Tara said impatiently as she walked out of the room with Sonia's mother.

Thirty-seconds later, the doors of the church opened and soothing, wedding music played as Sonia, with her arm in her father's, walked down the aisle.

Her fiancé stood twenty steps ahead of her, dressed in a black tuxedo. She could feel her heart beat loudly as with each step, he came closer and closer and finally, he was in front of her, smiling beautifully at his wife-to-be.

"You look...I have no words." He whispered as he took her hand in his and she grinned.

"You look very nice too." She said with a smirk and he chuckled.

The priest cleared his throat as the bride and groom turned to face him.

"We are gathered here, to witness and celebrate the union of two people who are one in soul. The bride and groom have requested to read their vows later and respecting that, we will move forward. Do you, Ms Alessandra Grey Black, take this man, as your lawfully wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

"I do." She said without blinking and smiled.

"Very nice." The priest mumbled before moving to the groom. "Do you, Mr Drago Barzetti, take this woman, as your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

The hall was silent as Sonia looked at him expectantly. And suddenly, from her eyes, he saw the man standing in front of her.

Drago?

Drago?

"Drago!" A voice shouted from a distant and Drago woke up with a start.

--

I do not own the picture. Credit goes to owner.