Chapter VII

Dominic watched Rhyne through his spot on the woods as she went inside her house. Through the window, he could see things flying all over the place and soon he saw Rhyne's mother. She was drunk, he noticed because of her sloppy walking. He saw Rhyne slowly walking towards her mother trying to calm her down. Her mother wasn't listening though and started screaming at her daughter pointing her finger at her with an angry look on her face like she was blaming her of something. Rhyne's eyes started to get bigger and a panic look took over her face. She tried to speak but it looked like she couldn't speak a whole sentence.

Then her mother slaps her.

Dominic started to growl his fangs appearing and his will to tear this woman apart started to grow. How could she call herself her mother? A mother wasn't supposed to be drunk or yell at her daughter like a crazy mad woman.

Rhyne's face paled. Slowly she lifted her hand to her face to touch her cheek where now it was raw and red. Her mother surely knew how to hit someone.

Though, before he could make a move, pain appeared on Rhyne's mother face. Rhyne looked at her mother but before anything else could happen Rhyne left the room and went upstairs. Her mother started to cry and fell to the ground on her knees clutching her stomach. He turned his head to the side trying to imagine why Rhyne's life was like this. What had happened that lead her life to this? Who was she? Why was her mother like this? What... suddenly his Wolf's face turned into a frown somehow.

What if she was the whole reason why they were here?

What if she was what they needed to bring back to their home?

If that was the case...

Dominic wasn't going to let them take her that easily.

Rhyne was now in her room laying down on her bed. She wasn't even going to put some ice on her face. Her mother had hit her. She didn't know what to do or think. She had never reached this point. Yes, sometimes her mother would yell at her, and like always, blaming her for the departure of her husband and her son. She was kind of used to that but it still hurt like hell each time she brought it up.

Each time her mother would scream at her, she wondered. Was it true? Had her father and her brother left because of her? Why had they left to begin with? She didn't understand why. Everything was normal before they suddenly disappeared.

Gradually her thoughts were consumed by the endless questions about the whereabouts of her missing family. Tears threaten to fall and she didn't let them stop flowing. She cried and cried for a long time until she couldn't cry anymore. She looked at her clock on her bedside table and saw that it was seven and forty-eight. It had been more than an hour since she last saw the Wolf and her mother. She didn't feel like doing anything... not even dinner or see the mess that her mother created downstairs...

She just felt empty.

She didn't know what to do. Kill herself? Runaway? Press charges against her mother? No. She hadn't it in her. She didn't have the guts. She still loved her mother unconditionally somehow. She couldn't leave her either, she didn't want to be like her father and brother. And obviously, she wasn't capable of killing herself.

So... what was she supposed to do?

Before her thoughts could continue her phone rang. She jumped a little bit in fright, by reason of being so focused on her thoughts. She got up from her bed numbly and went to her backpack to get her phone. When she got it, she saw that it was Martin that was calling her. She didn't feel like answering after all this mess, but... What if he needed help? Was his grandfather okay?

So she decided that she was going to answer this call.

"Hello?" Her voice was void of any emotion and was raw and she had a stuffy nose. She tried to hide it as well as she could but Martin knew better.

"What happen?" HE asked seriousness in his voice.

Somehow tears threaten to fall again, but she managed to hold them back just for a little longer.

"No. You first. You are the one who called me. What happened?" She asked sitting down on her bed with her elbows on her knees.

"Nothing, everything is fine... I was just going to invite for dinner since I know that you probably won't have company..." He trailed off not knowing how to explain her situation. "Now, tell me. Whose ass do I have to kick?"

Rhyne couldn't hold back anymore. Tears started to stain her porcelain cheeks and she started to cry. Heavy. She fell off the bed on to her knees and cried. She could hear Martin trying to reach out of her but she couldn't speak, and the last thing she heard from him was

"I'm on my way"

Martin had finally returned to his place with Rhyne now sleeping on his bed after trying to calm her down at her place. He knew her family history, and was happy when he arrived at her place and her mother wasn't there and the back door was open so he didn't waste any time running inside to Rhyne's room. She was on the floor looking at the Wall any emotion void from her face, She didn't even react when he was in her vision. So he decided to bring her to his place for tonight. She didn't even fought back or said anything when he told her that she was spending the night at his place. And that everything would be alright.

He didn't know what had happened, but he now that he looked at her sleeping figure he knew that something very serious must have happened for her to react like this. He looked at her face and started to inspect her trying to figure her out. His eyes rammed her face and dropped somehow on her cheek. Then he noticed it.

There was a tiny cut on her left cheek, and as he inspected the other one he saw that her left side of her face was slightly swollen, and without no doubt, it was going to look worse later, instead of being like her right side.

His jaw clenched and his face paled when he realized what had happened.

Her mother had hurt her.