Walking Away

*Prompt- I'm walking away. Forever.*

"Hey it's Peter, Peter Parker, sorry I missed-" Jenna slammed the End Call on her iPhone before shoving her phone into her clutch

"Hey it's Peter, Peter Parker, sorry I missed-" Jenna slammed the End Call on her iPhone before shoving her phone into her clutch. She pushed a piece of curled hair behind her ear and huffed out a breath, holding back tears that were threatening to ruin her make up.

Not that it mattered. Peter had already ruined her night after pinky promising he would be there. It was homecoming night and Peter was no where to be found. Ned put a supportive hand around her shoulders.

"Jenna, I'm so sorry." Ned said, biting his lip. He knew why Peter wasn't there, but he couldn't tell Jenna. Peter would tell her when he was ready, which unfortunately for everyone involved, was taking way too long.

"He promised. He never promises because he knows he can't keep them... but he promised this time." She whispered as Ned and Liz pulled her in for a hug. Liz was mad. So mad. She listened to Peter pine after her best friend (who was way out his league) for over a year, and now that they are finally together, he stands her up any chance he gets.

Jenna began to cry, not necessarily because she was upset but because she remembered what she said the Peter two weeks earlier, when he asked her to be his homecoming date. They were sat in their favorite ice cream shop, Sprinkles, large smiles plastered on their faces.

"You're not going to disappear the night of, are you?" Jenna asked, the smile leaving her face.

"I know I've been shitty lately Jen, but I promise you I'll be there. Promise." He said seriously.

"Pinky promise" she says leaning forward, "Peter, I'm being 100% honest when I tell you that if you break this promise... we're done. We've been dating for 6 months and you've made it to one of our anniversary dinners... so if you don't show up to homecoming, I don't think my heart will be able to take it."

Peter frowned but leaned forward, interlocking their pinkies. "I love you. I promise I'll be there."

Jenna ran to the bathroom, Liz quietly following behind her. She leaned against the sink as Liz wiped her tears away and pulled her in for a hug.

"He sucks." Liz muttered as Jenna buried her face into her best friend's shoulder.

"I love him. I love him so damn much, all I do is put up with his shit every single day." She said in between sobs.

Liz was fired up, "Jenna you sacrifice your happiness every day for him. Something needs to change." She said seriously.

"I'm breaking up with him" Jenna said suddenly.

"What?! Jenna, I- That's not what I meant!" Liz said quickly.

"I know... but Liz, I told him if he didn't show up tonight we were done. He pinky promised! He pinky fucking promised he would be here and I know that sounds so dumb but he never promised me anything. I'm sick of letting him break my heart over and over."

Liz was silent, realizing Jenna was right and she was doing what was best for her well-being.

Jenna cleaned herself up and they joined Ned on the dance floor, where many students were sending sympathetic glances at the girl who was flying solo.

The last song played and Jenna's heart dropped when she realized Peter was actually a no- show. She decided to wait a couple more minutes hoping that he would show up late like he usually does.

45 minutes later it was just her, Ned and Liz sitting in the empty gym.

Another hour passed and Liz touched Jenna's arm. "Ned's curfew is 12... my moms here to get us now if you want to ride with us..." Liz said softly. Jenna shook her head, "I'm just going to wait a little longer." She whispered. Both friends looked at her with sad eyes before leaving the gym, leaving just Jenna and her thoughts.

She waited for another half an hour before accepting the fact that her boyfriend wasn't coming. She walked out of the gym and into the hallway and headed for the school's exit doors.

"Jenna" someone whispered from behind her.

She stopped in her tracks and she spun around, there he was. Peter stood just a few feet away, dressed for homecoming. Only he was too late.
Their eyes locked for a moment before Jenna tore her glance away and fixated her eyes on the floor. She didn't even want to look at him, let alone talk to him right now.

"Babe. I'm so sorry, I got stuck-" he said coming towards her and holding her hands.

"Don't." She said softly, ripping her hands from his grasp. "I'm done with the excuses Peter. I'm so fucking done. You promised you'd be here tonight."

Peter's eyes grew wide and he didn't know what to say because well, she was right.

"It's just... I really don't think I'm asking for much. All you do is lie to me Peter, just tell me the truth for once. Where were you tonight?" She said, staring into his eyes.

"Jenna, you know I wish I could-"

"STOP." Jenna shouted, surprising both Peter and herself. "I can't listen to another lie, okay? My heart can't take it."

Peter's hands began to shake when he couldn't find the words to say.

"Peter. You promised at Sprinkes... that you'd be here. Do you remember what we agreed on?" She said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Peter hesitated for a moment, before the realization hit him and tears began to well up in his eyes. She was going to break up with him, and it was all his fault. He deserved it.

He began to beg, "Jenna, please. Just give me one more chance I promise-"

"You promise?! That means nothing coming from you, Peter Parker. You wouldn't know a promise if it hit you in the face. I love you so much and I probably always will.... but this, this is me walking away. Forever." She said glancing at Peter one last time before turning around and walking down the hallway.

Peter could barely see her walk through the door through his tear filled eyes.

The second the door closed behind her he let the tears fall and sent a punch to the lockers beside him, screaming out in emotional and physical pain.

The best thing in his life just walked out of the door and it was all his fault.