This Is My Daughter (part 2)

The party was still going on, but Jenna's mind was only on the boy now sitting in Liz's bedroom

The party was still going on, but Jenna's mind was only on the boy now sitting in Liz's bedroom. Ned walked out, shuttling the door softly behind him.

"Ned!" Jenna calls out to him. Ned's face breaks into a grin when he sees Jenna coming to check on his best friend.

"Is Peter okay?" she asks, her voice laced with genuine concern.

"Yeah... just a little bruised and uh, overwhelmed but he's fine." Ned says reassuringly. "You can go in if you want" he adds. Jenna smiles and knocks lightly on the door before letting herself in.

Peter is sitting on the edge of Liz's bed, his head hung in what seems like pain and exhaustion. He didn't lift his head when Jenna walked in, assuming it was Ned again. "Ned can we just go I-" but he stops when he looks up and sees Jenna standing in front of him, awkwardly fiddling with her fingers. He jumps from the bed and scratches his neck, "H-hey."

Jenna takes a step towards him, breaking the distance between them and grabbing his hand, "Thank you so much, Peter" she says genuinely.

"I-uh, I-it was no problem. R-really." He stutters. Jenna sighs and hugs him again, Peter wrapping his arms around the small girl protectively. When she pulls away, she rests her forehead against his, their noses brushing slightly.

"I want to show you how thankful I am." Jenna whispers.

Peter's breath hitches in his throat and his heart is beating so fast he's worried he's going to drop dead right there so he places a hand on her waist to steady himself. Jenna places her hand on his cheek and she begins to lean in with her eyes closed. Peter closes his too and their lips are about to touch when a siren blasts in the distance and causes Peter's eyes to snap open and jump away from the girl he was finally about to kiss.

"I-I have to go, I'm so sorry." Peter apologizes before sprinting out of the room, leaving Jenna breathless and in disbelief. Her mood was officially ruined and when she walks out of the room she refuses to make eye contact with Ned, who's sending her an apologetic look.

"Hey! Ned just told me you were in my bedroom with Peter... how'd it go?!" Liz asks with a wink. Jenna can feel her throat getting right as her eyes begin to fill with tears.

"We were about to kiss and then... then he just ran out of the room." Jenna mutters, walking away while trying to figure out what she did wrong and make Peter feel the need to run away. Once Liz overcomes her shock she grabs Ned who happens to be walking by.

"Listen, you better tell your little friend of yours to get his head out of his ass and make a move on Jenna before someone else does." Liz says before looking for Jenna again.

When Liz finds her she's near the front door grabbing her jacket, "I think I'm gonna head home" Jenna says softly and Liz nods, understanding that it's been a long night for her best friend.