Chapter 24

Shakily, you take deep, labored breaths, trying to keep the doctor next to you from noticing your shaking. As you try to calm yourself, you can't help but flashback to that day. You stiffen as a shiver runs down your spine at the memory. You feel a hand rest itself upon your shoulder as Masaomi speaks to you in hushed tones. 

"Are you alright?" He asks gently, rubbing your shoulder soothingly. Surprisingly, you start to relax, your breaths evening out as you give him a small nod. Glancing at him through your hair that hides your face from view, you can see his expression. Brows furrowed together, lips slightly downturned, he does not seem satisfied with your reply. Looking into his eyes, you can see the worry that is forming in them. Opening his mouth, most likely to repeat his question, he is interrupted by someone sitting next to you.

"I don't believe that we've had the pleasure. Sebastian Michaelis." You hear the ravenette butler state whilst setting a reassuring gloved hand atop your knee. You relax at his presence, the monochromatic tone in his voice soothing to you as you release a long sigh, the trembling on your lips subsiding as the tears started to dissipate.  Though the dark butler was no replacement for your twins, you took some comfort in the familiar figure next to you, knowing that he would, most likely, tend to you more closely after noticing your distress. 

"Ah, I am Masaomi, the oldest son. Mother didn't mention a third brother to me, my apologies for not preparing a room for you." The brunette replies, removing his hand from your shoulder to extend to the ravenette, earning a light chuckle from the butler. 

"She made no mistake, I have no blood relation to the triplets, I am merely their butler." He responds.

More like a glorified babysitter. You think to yourself. The two men continue to converse as you sneak a glance over at your triplets and the troublesome brunette. Your heart clenches as you see them all laughing together, slight smiles lifting the corners of your brothers' mouths. You hastily look away, instead distracting yourself by counting the petals on each rose in the display on the table. As though sensing your increased distress, Sebastian comfortingly squeezes your knee.

Before long there is a knock at the door as a waiter enters the room to take the beverage orders. Though you try your best to remain unfazed, trying to ignore your triplets, you can't quite block out the sound of your brothers and Emma all ordering Earl Grey tea, one right after the other, causing them to let out another bout of laughter. The tears gather in your eyes again as you look at your hands, which are clasped in your lap.  You don't even realize that the waiter has reached you until Sebastian is already ordering for you.

"She will have an iced, chamomile tea, thank you," Sebastian states, rubbing your knee. You are tempted to look up and gauge your triplets' reaction but quickly decide against it, not wanting to give anyone at the table a chance to see your teary eyes.

"Alright, one iced, chamomile tea. Is everyone ready to order?" The waiter asks politely. Quickly you unclasp your hands, reaching down to squeeze Sebastian's hand, looking for reassurance. You don't wait for long, a mere moment, before his gloved hand clasps yours in a firm but gentle grip. The waiter goes around the table again, though this time you make a dedicated effort to distract yourself by focusing on your breathing once the waiter reaches your brothers.

In...2...3...4...Out...2...3...4... You count to yourself, trying to remember what Tanaka and Sebastian instruct you to do whenever you get to worked up. Once again, once the waiter reaches you, Sebastian is prepared with an answer and, before the waiter can even ask, Sebastian orders for you.

" She will have the ceaser salad please, with an Italian Vinegarette and the croutons on the side." He states. You nod your head, approving of his choice, and keep your eyes focused on your lap.

"Perfect, I'll have those right out for you." The water says as he takes his leave of the room, closing the door behind him. 

"Are you sure that you're okay?" Masaomia asks you, his tone laced with concern as he whispers into your ear. You nod once more, steeling yourself before lifting your head to meet his gaze.

"I'm fine, thank you, though I appreciate your concern," you tell him, your voice emotionless and your (e/c) eyes dull and lifeless. No longer were you the youngest of the Phantomhive triplets, instead, sitting in between Masaomi and Sebastian, taking your place, was the Lady Phantomhive. Cold, calculating, and, most importantly, emotionless to everyone around her, including her own brothers.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Published:

10/22/2019