Chapter 1

"Yo, Jes. Wake up."

Jesy felt a tap at her arm.

"Wake up. Will you?" The taps became more rapid and she ended up opening her eyes.

"What?" The cranky Jesy demanded. She sat up and squinted before her eyes adjusted to the image of the person standing at her bed's edge. It was her brother Johnny. No surprise.

Johnny seemed to find her amusing. He chuckled and then ruffled her hair. "You should wake up now and stay that way."

She took in his clothes. He was dressed in a male's nurse uniform. "Heading out?" She used the back of her hand to bar her mouth as she yawned. What time did I go to bed last night? It could not have been late. There was not much for her to do to keep her up.

"Yup. I need you to guard the house." He started walking away. "I left you some warm bread with melted butter on in. I heated some water so you could have something warm to drink."

Jesy watched him go. "And you? Are you eating?" She climbed out of her bed and pushed her feet into her slippers. She rubbed at her arms as it was quite cold.

The siblings had time to make their ways down the stair case before Johnny answered. The house was not big. They were in the kitchen within three steps.

"Not enough for me. You're a growing girl. You need food more than I do." He smiled and then picked up his knapsack from the table. He gestured to the plate of small breakfast and then walked out through the front door. He said goodbye before he left.

Jesy stood alone in the kitchen. "I wish he'd eat." She said to herself before taking a seat at the small table. Her eyes stared lamely at her breakfast. It was not every day she could have some. There were some days where she only ate one meal. "He can't eat." There was nothing left for him.

Jesy started eating hungrily after sipping her water. She was done before she could even enjoy it. "Guess that means I'm gonna have to ask for a little extra from the boys." She smiled while standing.

After washing the dishes, she went to her room to remove her sleepwear. It was just one of her brother's T-shirts. She had been wearing it to sleep for as long as she could remember. It had a certain level of comfort it brought to her. How sweet right?

When Jesy was fully dressed, she stared out her window. There was an empty flat outside of it. It was actually pretty close to hers. If the curtain was not drawn, Jesy would be able to see the inside.

I bet it's big in there. It's a big house. She remembered the people who used to live in it before. She was not sure where they went off to but she guessed she was not all that interested. They were never interested in her so why should she care?

Jesy smiled. Though she found herself a bit silly for dreaming big, she always imagined that once she became a professional and famous worldwide actress, she would live in a house like that one. Oh no. Not like it. Bigger. She could see it now. She would have maids and hot guys over to model for her and massage her feet. She would even have an indoor and outdoor pool. And I'd have tons of food to eat. She nodded. Johnny may be an ass most times but I'll let him live with me. He's been the only one taking care of me for a really long time so . . . he can have his own wing.

She laughed to herself before her smile dropped. "'How' is my least favourite word." Jesy sighed.

She waited an hour on her bed. She was holding a book of plays to her face as she read. She practiced roles with herself often. She had even auditioned for a few before but no one had gotten in contact with her. How would they? I don't even own a cell phone.