Chapter 1 - The Lord's Plan

[Partially Edited]

A girl stood in the waiting chambers outside of the lord's room. She had stood there everyday, hoping to finally be admitted. She waited dutifully a full hour, before turning to leave.

"Lirya Thronesgar. Only daughter and heir to the Thronesgar empire. So why won't father see me?" She muttered as she slowly left the room, with defeat in her eyes. Her father, Lord Rowan Thronesgar, had refused to see her for many months now, and it was with no explanation whatsoever that he left. She walked out into the hall and tripped over the hem of her dress, but was luckily caught by one of the guards stationed outside the waiting room. He picked her up, put her upright and gave her a sympathetic face. All the guards were aware of her attempts to see her father.

"Thank you, Reylous," She said gratefully.

He bowed to her, "No problem, m'lady."

Grumbling about how dresses were an inconvenience to everyone, Lirya recalled her brief conversation with her mother, concerning the dress.

"Why in the name of Pelos do I have to wear this?!" She had asked her mother earlier that day.

Her mother had told her. "As the only daughter of Lord Rowan, you have a reputation to uphold, just as I have mine. So you will wear that dress, Lirya Aylusa Elena Thronesgar."

<--<< >>-->

Hours later, Lirya ran laughing down the spiral staircase with her best friend, Sanja. She had changed into some leggings and a tunic held with a belt. She was, in fact, dressed as a boy. Her mother would have thrown a fit if she had seen how her daughter dressed. Not that Lirya particularly cared about her mother's thoughts anymore. She ran to the archery range with Sanja and they each took a longbow and a quiver of arrows. Then they walked over to a lane and started shooting. Whoever shot the first bullseye won. Sanja won the overall contest with seventeen wins while Lirya got three.

<--<< >>-->

Someone shadowed them. He wore a green tunic and brown pants, the uniform of squires at the Castle. Jason Kainley was sixteen and was a squire to Lord Rowan. Lord Rowan had ordered him to watch the girl, Lirya. So he did. He watched her laugh and shoot with her friend. It made his heart ache to see them having such fun, while he had no one. He walked out from the shadows. Jason silently scooted over to the stand with the weapons and grabbed a longbow and quiver of arrows. He then stood a bit back from the girls and reached back to grab an arrow. He nocked, drew, sighted and the arrow sped away. It skewered the bullseye. Both girls turned and gaped.

"Who are you?"

An innocent question from Lirya.

"Jason. Jason Kainley. I work as a squire here at Thronesgar Castle."

Lirya frowned. Finally, she replied.

"I've seen you before,'' She said. Then she muttered under her breath, "But where...?"

"No matter. Can I join your game?"

They moved slightly to make space for him. Then the game began. Jason soon discovered that the girls were sore losers.

"You cheated!"

"Stupid game!"

He suddenly worried that Lirya would speak to her father about him. Lord Rowan might dismiss him. Or give him a servant's work! Cooking, cleaning... ugh!

Lirya must have noticed because she gave him a reassuring pat on the shoulder.

"Don't worry. I won't report you to my father," she said in a soft voice, "He never has time for me anyways."