Chapter 15 - Through the Storm, the Raven Rose

Rillan and Ryhon gaped in astonishment as they saw the prince. Aidan had large, feathery wings and a circlet crowned his brow. His silky black hair was cut short, quite unusual for people of Dargon, but then, Aidan was an archangel. They were always different. He had a grey shirt with long sleeves, decorated with gold embroidery around the edges and in a swirling pattern all around the sleeve. Aidan was dressed in a long, flowing white surcoat that reached his knees and was split down the middle, front and back. He had a dark brown vest over his white surcoat and a black belt around his waist. Aidan had grey pants and black knee lengthed boots. He seemed to sparkle with electric energy, so powerful was he.

"I can find the key." He repeated as everyone stared, stunned, at him, even Robert, who had found Aidan in Stonewall Castle.

"Oh, yeah. I picked this guy up at Stonewall." Robert explained.

"Wha- ?" Ryhon glared, "You!?"

Then his hand shot forward and gripped Aidan's, tightly. Aidan's battle instincts took over and used his supernatural strength to flip Ryhon over and to the ground, breaking his hold on Aidan's arm. Murderous rage burned in those eyes. Ryhon was up in a flash and ran at Aidan, who raised an arm and shot a fireball from his outstretched palm, while heating up his skin to be blistery at touch. He made sure to wear fireproof clothes for occasions like these. Ryhon put up a hasty shield that absorbed the flames but then disappeared. Then Ryhon tackled Aidan, blistering his hands and face. Ryhon gritted his teeth and held on, but then Aidan gradually lowered his temperature as not to burn the skin right off of Ryhon's hands. Then he decided to end this petty battle and shot into the air, with Ryhon hanging onto his wrist. With a yell, Ryhon was wrenched off into the air, but he still hung determinedly on.

"Give it up, you foolish mortal!" Aidan yelled,

"Never!" Ryhon snarled, "I'll teach you, immortal pest!"

Ah. So it was personal! Well, okay. Aidan could read minds. He had to focus to do it, but it came naturally. He listened in on Ryhon's thoughts.

That royal, immortal jerk! He murdered my parents. He murdered Samuh's parents.

"I did not!" Aidan burst out.

"Wha- ?" Ryhon sputtered, then his eyes narrowed, "Did you just read my mind?"

Aidan shrugged innocently. He stood on the ground again, a bit away from Ryhon.

Ryhon rushed at him again. Aidan sidestepped, "Let out your anger. We cannot continue to Ravenstorm Castle until you are ready to work with me and everyone else." He growled.

"No. You killed my family. You killed my first soul." Ryhon said quietly, "It will not go unpunished. Nothing's forgotten."

"Your memories have been tampered with. Have you ever encountered a Grysan?" Aidan asked grimly, "They wipe the memories of those whose souls they devour."

"They are loyal." Ryhon put in.

"Yes, but only to the one who raised them. They devour your soul, then give you a new one. If you have too much hatred or darkness in your soul then you can seek out a Grysan to get an exchange." Aidan continued, "I must recommend you do seek out another."

"No. There is no time." Ryhon took several deep breaths. Aidan noticed that his eyes had returned to a more cool violet than the rage filled deep magenta he had seen earlier.

He opened his eyes and looked at Aidan.

"I am ready to go."

<--<< >>-->

Rillan was an excellent guide, leading them effortlessly through the forest to the outskirts of the great castle walls. They paused at the edge of the forest.

"How do we get in?" Robert muttered, his calculating mind no doubt forming plans.

"I'll get us in. The kitchen has a back door, and the kitchen staff know me," Rillan quickly said.

"Sure. Do we need disguises?"

"Oh. Maybe not the wings, Aidan?"

Aidan retracted his beautiful snowy wings.

"I guess we are all set, then. Follow me." Rillan continued.

Everyone followed except the prisoners rescued from Stonewall Castle. Rillan, Robert, Myrk, Aidan and Ryhon headed out of the woods.

Rillan led them out into the open and jogged towards a nondescript door with a simple lock. Rillan knocked three times quickly, then he paused before knocking another two times. It was a code, of sorts.

There were sounds of a lock being opened and the door opened an inch. A pair of eyes looked out. They were a startling forest green shade and looked suspiciously at them.

"Miyla!" Rillan cried out with a smile. The door opened to reveal a servant girl, about his age, with black hair and red lips. Those lips curved into a smile when she heard Rillan.

"Rillan! You're back!"

He, too, smiled.

"Um... can we come in? We're... sort of... um, wanted." He inclined his head at the doorway.

"Oh! Of course. Come on in." She said quickly, then stepped aside as they all trooped in. Her eyes lingered on Aidan, who was dressed a bit differently than the rest.

"Who's this?" She wondered.

"This is Prince Aidan of the High Archangels." Robert said.

Her eyes widened.

"Archangels are extinct!" She burst out.

Aidan shook his head sadly.

"I am the last, madam. Soon, our race will truly be gone."

"We must be on our way. Jaons will be in the training pit," Robert said.

Their footsteps echoed in the empty castle halls. Myrk glanced in wonder at all the rich tapestries and gold statues.

"Why... is it so empty?" Aidan whispered.

"There's a feast in the great hall." Rillan mentioned, "They're all getting drunk on my father's mead."

Indeed, faint sounds of laughter and shouting could be heard in the distance. Robert scowled in the direction of the noise.

"They get everything. The rich get richer and spend freely." He muttered, "While some people, like me and my family, have to work for every penny and still starve in the winter."

"Through the Storm, the Raven Rose," Rillan whispered to himself.

"Yes, that is true," A sharp voice said. Head turned and Rillan saw Darron Ravenstorm with a company of guards. They were surrounded. Everyone had been lost in thought and no one had heard. It was too late.

"Yes, Through the Storm, the Raven Rose. We are the Ravenstorms. I have brought them to you, my lord." Rillan broke in, a smile on his face.