Chapter 25 - Elven Secrets

Lirya and Jason were appalled to know the details of their deaths and what happened after that. Jason would permanently have a scar on his right cheek, below the eye. He bore it as a sign that he had survived death, which was certainly very true.

"Hey, Jon. Do you think I look manlier with the scar?" Jason joked.

"Yeah. Definitely. A real head turner." Taryn smiled.

Jason adopted a hurt expression, "Wait, are you saying I wasn't a head turner before I died?"

"No way." Taryn chuckled.

"Hey! Taryn! Should we show your human friend around?" Eryna ran up to them, beaming.

"Sure!" He said brightly.

"Wait. Is your name Jon, or Taryn?" Jason frowned.

"Oh. My human name is Jon Habers. My elven name is Taryn Agian. But since i'm a pure blooded elf now, I guess that makes me Taryn." He said thoughtfully.

"I thought you were a half?" Jason asked.

Smiling slightly, Taryn brushed his hair away, to reveal two proudly pointed ears.

"Nope. The magic of the Fireleaf Ritual can do wonders."

<--<< >>-->

Jason marvelled at the intricate beauty of the elven city. Saelvor was one of the largest cities in Silvardor, with Adwark being the biggest and Ben-abe as the smallest. Some elves decided to forsake the companionship of a city and lived in the great forests. None lived in the sacred Illuan forest, though. He had changed out of the death clothes into a simple tunic tucked into pants. With knee length brown boots and a leather belt around his waist, Jason was dressed far more simply since he got his Gold armband. He was as free as he had been in what seemed an age. At the tender age of sixteen, Jason had seen and done things that had matured him considerably. Boys his age would be wooing girls and strutting around with puffed chests, confident of their own importance. He, though he did not yet know it, was on a quest to save the world. Dargon was crumbling. Portals were appearing more frequently and were bringing in the Arysi. Dragons, Elementals and Firwulfs roamed the five kingdoms of Dargon as the guardians had all long ago perished. Rumor had it, that they had all disappeared into another dimension. Others claimed that the guardians were truly dead, and recent proof suggested that as well. It was common knowledge that the armband only left its owner when they died, so the fact that there were tales of a druid sporting such a band, made people wonder. And despair.

<--<< >>-->

Eryna had left them a while back to shop at some of the stores in the middle of the city. Jason and Taryn continued to sight see. As they walked, Jason absently tugged at his gold armband. Taryn noticed and asked, "Is it bothering you?"

"What? No. Sorry. It's just so... cold." He said, removing his hand. Taryn glanced at it. His emotions, too, were in turmoil over the fact that his band was not operational.

"Mine doesn't work either." He sighed. Then he quickly grabbed Jason's band, finding it not the slightest bit cold. He held it.

"Is it still cold?" He asked.

"Yes. It hurts more... when you touch it." Jason gritted out. Taryn's eyes widened as he hurriedly released Jason's arm. A fine layer of frost coated the armband. Taryn looked at his own hands in fear.

"What's happening to me? I used to be able to control it..." He panicked. His magic, responding to his emotions, surged. A silent explosion blasted away from him. He was left standing in a ten mile radius of ice. All the buildings and trees were coated in glittering ice, and the elves were suitably frightened. Jason stood there, shaking with his lips blue and frost hanging off him. He hugged himself tightly as Taryn watched.

"Wh-hat... ju-just hap-pened?" Jason muttered, his teeth chattering uncontrollably. Then he cried out as his band grew red hot. He instantly started steaming as all of the frost a chill melted off him. Still, he heated up. As he sucked up the heat from the air around him, the temperature in Silvardor plunged lower than it would have in the middle of winter. Taryn was not affected, but some elves in other sections of the city huddled in their clothes and ran for their tree homes, to find them withering and dying under the odd temperature conditions. It caused an uproar. The six queens were summoned. Dethemina and Aira, the Autumn queen. Selana, the Spring Queen. Amiri, the Summer queen. Euiridas, the Queen of Life, and Calaepus, the Queen of Death. They all stood, surveying the damage as Taryn and Jason looked at their feet, shamefaced.

"You're saying that those two," Euiridas pointed to the two boys, "Froze most of this city due to a lack of emotional control?"

The other queens nodded. Euiridas sighed.

"They need training." Aira pointed out.

"But they are too powerful to be taught by just anyone!" Selana exclaimed.

Calaepus growled in frustration, "Just let them be trained by... you know, him."

"Boys!" Raising her voice, Amiri called Jason and Taryn. They looked up, with a faint pink tingeing their cheeks.

"Do you know how much trouble you have caused?" Euiridas demanded.

She continued, "More than half of Saelvor is coated in frost and the tree homes are suffering due to it. Do you wish for half of the elves, those who reside in tree homes, to be homeless?"

The boys mumbled a few near silent denials, "No, of course not."

"We are going to entrust you with a secret. You must never, EVER, tell anyone but a guardian what you have seen this day. What we are about to show you. That way, you can get your powers under control. If you get stronger, you may just freeze all of Silvardor the next time this happens." Euiridas warned.

Then she walked away, motioning for the queens and the boys to follow her. Her sky-blue gown swished at her feet as she walked quickly. She had a high collar and short brown hair. By her thighs, on the dress, were gold embroidered decorations. She wore a long sleeve that brushed the ground occasionally when she walked. She took them deep into the Illuan forest. Euiridas stopped by a castle nestled deep in the Illuan forest.

"I thought that you were not allowed to live in the Illuan forest?" Jason muttered to Taryn.

"Yes. I did not know of this..." Taryn mused.

"Jaron! You have visitors!" Euiridas called out. A man exited the castle.

"Yes?" He asked. He had dark brown, nearly black hair. His skin was tanned a nice golden color and he wore a white surcoat over his chain mail. In his right hand was the naked blade of a sword. On that same hand, he had a large, ugly red patch of skin. Wincing slightly, he walked up to greet them.

Euiridas turned to Taryn and Jason.

"Here is who will change your lives forever. He is Jaron of the Silver Crystal. Former Silver Guardian."