Chapter 6 - Monsters of Dargon

[Partially Edited]

Jason never had too little power. It just wasn't possible. Jon didn't deserve to die, knowing that someone could have healed him, but had wasted his power. Strictly speaking, he hadn't wasted his power, but it would seem so to the dying person.

<--<< >>-->

Lirya stuttered, "I'm sorry, Jon." Her tears flowed, "I wish we had gotten to know each other."

She knelt by him, her tears dripping onto his gasping form.

Jon stared down at his body in shock. His hair was all messed up and he was too pale. He wondered if it was too late to take out a comb and make his hair look decent. He looked so odd, it was no wonder that the girl had been frightened of him. He looked like an icy being. It was only then that he wondered why he could see his body. He looked down at himself. His smoky translucent body was what he saw. Jon had seen so many strange things in his life that he was only mildly surprised. He blinked, then shrugged. If death was his destiny, then so be it. If the gods willed it, then so must it be. So must it be. He worshipped all of the gods, but in particular, he worshipped Iside, the Winter goddess. He did not know why, but he felt some sort... connection... to Iside. Perhaps it was his icy features, for Iside had raven black hair, the snow whitest skin, and stormy grey eyes. She was a lady of Cold. Or perhaps it was his icy skin. He was never warm to the touch. Inside, however, he was perfectly fine. He snapped his mind back to the present. Already he could feel the tug of the Ether, slowly becoming more insistent.

"Jason... Can't you at least try? Please! He doesn't deserve this!"

Heartwarming, if Jon's heart were not as cold and frozen as the rest of his body.

"No... energy... you... heal... Jon... K-Key... Guard..."

Jason was coughing, exhausted and back in his freshly laundered tunic with the grey surcoat on top.

"Who? There's not been a Key Guard in, like, forever." Lirya cried, despairing.

"You... Key... Guard... Aura..." Jason summoned a huge breath, "Heal him Lirya! You'retheonlyonewhocan!"

Then he collapsed, unconscious.

"J-Jason?!" Lirya asked, fearful of what she would hear.

"Right. I can do it. Jon needs my help. I WILL do it... " Jon heard her mutter, gathering her courage.

She closed her eyes and stood erect. Her breathing relaxed. She almost stopped breathing, then her eyes opened. They were a startling electric blue, and they seemed to glow, radiating pure power. She was cloaked in pure blue light, then it faded away. Lirya was wearing a purple cloak, outlined in gold with a hood and a dress of white material, decorated with golden symbols. She had a golden sash tied loosely around her hips and a white staff decorated with golden swirls and runes. She was outlined in a powerful blue aura. Lirya swung her staff in a complex series of backhand, forehand, stabs and slices, creating a blur of dangerous light. Selsian could only gap in amazement at the sudden change. After all, just moments before, she could not have had any idea whatsoever about how to wield a quarterstaff. Now she was wielding it with ease, like years of practice would have allowed her to use it. Also, she looked powerful in the getup, powerful and innocent, if such a mixup was possible. She let her arms hang loosely and closed her eyes again. Then she dropped the staff but seemed not to hear it clatter on the ground as she gasped and her eyes flew open. They gleamed solid golden and she raised her hands and pointed them at Jon's crumpled form. A blue light erupted from her hands and flew into his body. The body shuddered and rose slightly. Jon watched and felt a huge tugging sensation. He gave into it and found himself back in his old body, healing from the wound. He opened his eyes and saw Lirya looking at him with shock.