Chapter 33 - Destiny

Tarbork was dead. Still, no one celebrated. What he had whispered to Taryn on the night of his imprisonment hung like a cloud over their heads.

"I am but the beginning... you cannot hope to know what lies ahead. You think you won by defeating me? I am nothing. Nothing, compared to what you are destined to face. My brothers and sisters storm your borders right now... Dargon is fated to fall..."

Aidan sat hunched on a table, his wings partially covering his body. His head was in his hands. Jason sat next to him, pondering on the meaning of those words. Lirya stood by his side, her hand on his shoulder. Taryn stood stiffly by the door, an icy mask over his features. Ryhon was in the Aerie, conversing with the dragons.

Iktarious was a fire dragon. His scales glittered a bright ruby red. He had a temper to match his scales, but could be easily bribed with bloody carcasses. Thronox was a frost dragon. He was a frosty blue scaled creature. An aura of frost literally clung to him, and Taryn was the only one who could ride him without freezing his backside off. Thronox was a good natured dragon, though, and had none of the brutality that other dragon species had. Ryhon was conversing with Iktarious, with Thronox listening in.

"Did you know that Reyneld lives on in his son? He is once again among us." He said quietly.

Iktarious reared up, shocked. "Truely?" He hissed, "It is a time for celebration. Who is he?"

"Jason."

Iktarious peered at Ryhon, incredulously. "You say that the man-spawn there was our eternal master? He is a Kainley, not born under our master's noble name!"

Ryhon sighed. "It took me a long time to discover his lineage," He admitted, "But then I recalled him mentioning the fact that his mother was related to the guardians. The foolish boy thought his mother was the Golden Guardian. No. He is Jason Bladesworn, youngest son to Reyneld."

"Sons? Reyneld had heirs? Who?" Iktarious asked.

"Jemery Bladesworn. Unfortunately deceased. And Jason Bladesworn. He is here inside the building now. I... encountered... Jemery in Heresh."

"A necromancer. That is not a bad fate for one of Reyneld's sons." Iktarious mused.

Ryhon winced, "Not quite, i'm afraid. He was only a ghost. And a servant to boot. He was set to serve me. I was still developing my powers, and so could not sense his noble lineage."

Iktarious growled, "Such is demeaning for a son of Reyneld's noble lineage. Whom shall I punish? Who demoted him from who he was in life?!" He roared.

"Be silent, Iktarious! You waken even Ziocrat from his deathly slumber with the noise you make!" Ryhon hissed.

"Well? Who did such to an heir of Reyneld's?" Iktarious thundered, his voice rumbling like thunder.

Ryhon sighed. "The king of Heresh. King Naghren of Heresh. And I doubt he knew of Jemery's lineage when he turned him into a servant."

The big fire drake didn't look any less murderous, but he had stopped eyeing the ground with hatred, for all knew that Heresh was in a different dimension, though underground. However, if you dug to the center of Dargon and up on the other side, you would still not find Heresh, for as it was said, it was in a different plane of existence.

"Can I kill him?" Iktarious whined.

"No. You will upset the balance of good and evil if you kill him." Ryhon said firmly.

"Just a small bite? He'll still live..." Iktarious grumbled.

"No!"

"Fine..." Iktarious muttered.

An explosion rocked the ground. Ryhon fell to the floor and Iktarious stumbled.

"What in the Abyss?" Ryhon muttered in a daze, for his head had been knocked quite badly during the fall.

He stumbled out of the Aerie, the stables for Griffins, Ignu birds, Pegasi and phoenixes. Now, however, they were re-purposed for the dragons. Thronox was curled up comfortably in one corner of the Aerie, while Ryhon and Iktarious were at the entrance. Now Ryhon scrambled up and out of the Aerie. There was a large doorway and a long winding trail of stairs down to the ground. Ryhon grumbled and backed up. Then he ran up to the edge and leapt off. His hair flew up in the air and his robes fluttered madly. As he neared the ground, he used a small amount of magic to stop his descent.

"Aire usecat inori!" Air, catch me!

It jerked him painfully up, and that was why he detested to use that particular magic. He looked about, to see elves and his companions hurrying to the scene of the explosion. A huge crater had appeared in the center of the square. Inside the crater was a golden orb. Ryhon peered at it closely.

"What is it?" Jason pushed his way through the crowd, coming to stand near Ryhon.

"I... I think... it may be a sign... from the gods." Ryhon said, perplexed.

"Really?" Jason burst out, "Can I open it?"

"Aye. Go. Open it. If it explodes, at least it will be you, not me." Ryhon smiled. Jason looked a little less certain of himself. Still, he stepped into the crater and touched the golden orb. Immediately, it opened, revealing something shiny. Jason's eyes widened.

"Is that...?" He asked in hushed wonder.

"A crystal? Yes. It is the Golden Crystal. Claim your legacy, Jason Bladesworn." Ryhon said solemnly.

"Blad- No. I'm Kainley." Jason muttered.

"No. You are Jason Bladesworn. Second son to Reyneld Bladesworn. You are his heir." Ryhon explained.

"What? It doesn't make sense. But- ah. In a sense, it does." Jason said, "If Reyneld is my... father... then that would explain my guardian powers. I thought my mother had succeeded Reyneld, rather than he truly being my sire."

He carefully picked up the crystal and turned to the hushed crowd. He held it up.

"This is our destiny! I make it mine, and vow to serve Dargon to the best of my abilities." Jason pledged, swallowing. He climbed out of the crater and stood, proud and mighty. A true son of Reyneld. Lirya, Jaons and Taryn stood with Jason. They each held up their right arm, letting their sleeves fall to reveal the glimmer of four bracelets. Gold, Silver, Sappire and Black. The absence of color, for the Etherborn have died and come back, so the KeyGuard is one of no color.

<--<< >>-->

A dark mist spread through the camp, forming into the shape of a tall humanoid being. It spoke.

"'Tis merely the beginning. You stand no chance. I am the Master, and I will have my revenge. It is my Destiny, as it is yours. Face your fate..."

<--<< >-->

Please VOTE and COMMENT.