Chapter 30 - Death

They prepared. A space was cleared out on the battlefield. Bodies were dragged away for proper burial, or in the demons' case, burning. Blood still stained the field, and the grass was trampled. The armies surrounded the dueling area, stone silent. One army of green and one of red. One who created and one who destroyed. Elves and demons.

<--<< >>-->

Euiridas barely rested. She had time enough only to grab a quick drink of water from a canteen before striding towards the dueling space. Tarbork had already made it there. Her sword rested heavily in her hand, and Tarbork looked well rested. This would not be an easy battle.

"A fine day to die, do you not agree?" Tarbork greeted Euiridas honorably. Demon he may be, but not one without honor.

"Aye, but let us see who it is that dies today." Euiridas returned, raising her sword. Her arm ached, but she betrayed no emotion on her face.

Tarbork's facial features shifted, and he changed form. He was dressed head to toe in battle gear. He was a good deal shorter, and when he lifted his visor, Euiridas saw why. Tarbork had shifted to human form. A face with pure brown eyes and dark hair cropped short to fit his helm. He motioned for the battle traditions to proceed.

"May Syledin bless you to a greater future." Euiridas said, as was tradition before a fight.

"Aye. May your fight be won honorably, bloodily and should you die, may our Master deem you worthy." Tarbork replied, and then brought up his sword. Euiridas did the same.

"Begin."

<--<< >>-->

They charged at one another. Euiridas cringed as her sword struck his. Now the truth struck her in the face. She would die. An ironic end for the Queen of Life. The force of his blow nearly wrenched her sword out of her grasp. That could not happen. It was her lifeline.

They pulled away, and Euiridas swung her sword at his, in a powerful two handed grip. He barely grunted, barely acknowledged that it bothered him.

<--<< >>-->

This woman was brave, thought Tarbork. She freely went to her death, hoping to save her kingdom. He saw the desperate gleam in her eyes as she swung with all her might at him. It barely moved his blade as he brought it up easily to counter her blow. He grunted, and thrust away her sword, causing her to stumble. He followed up, swinging the broadsword, made to be held in a two handed grip, in his one hand. She barely countered, tripping and sprawling on the ground. One elbow propped her up as she stared at him. Pure defiance shone in her eyes. Euiridas must have been a woman to fear.

Tarbork prepared to slam his sword down at her. She closed her eyes, prepared for her fate. The blade flashed when it was raised into the sharp sunlight. Then it rushed down, the heavy metal rushing to impale Euiridas.

"CLANG!" His sword struck metal. Euiridas had put her blade to counter his stroke. It shattered neatly, but spared her life.

"Halt. She must have another sword. Does anyone have a replacement?" Tarbork yelled. A sword was thrown into the ring. He stepped back, but offered the sword hilt first, to her.

"Your hand." She whispered, glancing down at his hand, which held the blade. Blood welled up.

He thrust it at her, muttering, "Fine blade. Mighty sharp."

Euiridas took the blade, and got into a battle ready stance. Though she was to kill him, she could not help but admire his honor. He was almost genuinely nice.

They battled on. Once again, Tarbork had the upper hand. He swung powerfully, making Euiridas strain mightily to stop his blade from entering her body. She breathed raggedly from the exertion and gritted her teeth. This was a battle she had to win, one that was necessary to win.

Then it was all over. She saw a chink in his defenses, and immediately struck her sword at him, with all her force. Tarbork wheeled back and, with a lightning fast stroke, parried her blade and sank his blade into her. A choked sound came from her mouth as the leather clothing she wore underneath the armor turned red rapidly. Tarbork had found the chink in her armor, where it connected to the chain mail leggings. She crumpled to the floor, suddenly numb everywhere. But, gods, the wound pounded with agonizing pain. Sweat beaded at her hairline, and she heaved in agonized breaths. Tarbork leaned into her vision. His eyes almost looked regretful.

"I am sorry that it had to happen this way. You fought honorably to the end." He said solemnly.

"Gods! Hurts... so much. End it... please, end the pain... Ziocrat... grant me a merciful end." She cried. Ziocrat was the god of death. All races, be they human, elf, druid, dwarf or dragon worshiped Ziocrat as he was. Death was eternal and death was one and only.

"Alas, I cannot. My people must see you defeated. They must see me as the Beast." He knelt by Euiridas. Neither army watched them, for bother hollered and jeered at one another.

"You are a beast," She hissed, "I thought you honorable. Honor forbids what you have done!"

"No! I... am a demon general. But my mother was a mage of Aeliyas, the goddess of evil. Their mating created me, a demon shifter. They must see me as a merciless demon general, with no second loyalties!" He insisted. Removing his helm, Tarbork ran a hand through his thick hair.

Euiridas' breathing grew more labored and faint. Then she grabbed his hand fiercely.

"Finally. My end is near. Save Silvardor. Save Dargon. No world is worth ruling ash and charred ruins. Preserve the people!"

She closed her eyes and breathed one final time. Then her body grew still, and her hand slipped out of Tarbork's.

<--<< >>-->

Meanwhile, there were shouts and cries from both armies. Many pointed towards the sky. Steady wing beats were heard. At the head was a dark silhouette of a large bird, with large wings. Two others glittered in the light, like jewels in the sun.

It was not possible. They were Dragons.