Chapter 26 - Those Closest to You

A clamor of voices rose. Dethemina had not been let in on the secret. Her voice rose above the others'.

"You had a guardian and you didn't TELL ME??!!" She yelled, beyond furious.

The other queens hastened to tell her that they had intended to tell her, but then things had gotten in the way.

Jaron stood there, arm trembling slightly. Jason noticed and sidled closer to the former silver guardian.

"Hey. I'm Jason. Gold guardian. How's your arm? What happened anyways?" He stuck his hand out at Jaron.

Jaron took it, shaking it firmly, before replying, "I am Jaron, as you already know. My arm is like that because I recently felt a burning, tearing feeling. Then, before I knew what was happening, my bracelet was gone. It had chosen a new owner. It will take a few weeks to heal, and I will likely have a scar there for the remainder of my days. I see that my bracelet has found a new home on the arm of your friend, over there." He pointed at Taryn.

"How did you survive? Don't all guardians perish when they lose their powers?" Jason asked.

"I think that Syledin watched over me." Jaron answered.

"Syledin?"

"Ah. Pelos. We, elves, worship the elven version of Pelos. He is called Syledin." He brushed away some of his thick hair to better show the pointed tips of his ears.

"You're an elf!" Jason exclaimed, "I thought only humans were guardians?"

"How would that explain your friend? No. The duty passes through family."

"Wait. So... my family was once part of the Guardians?" Jason wondered.

"Yes. I would suspect your father, but it could just as well be your mother." Jaron commented.

"I think I read about the name was Izobel Cardiff in connection with the guardians. That was my mother's maiden name! She must have been the golden guardian!" Jason exclaimed, excited at the discovery. Then he narrowed his eyes, "Is Taryn related to you?"

"Yes." Jaron replied promptly, "He is my nephew. Eryna is my daughter."

"But... Taryn's cousin said her father died years ago!" Jason exclaimed.

Jaron smiled sadly, "Yes. I was captured by Euiridas, who locked me up and spread the rumor that I was dead. Queen of light she may be, but she is only shallow beauty, masking unending darkness."

With her graceful, petite looks, it was hard to think of her as the darkness.

"How do I know that you aren't deceiving me?" Jason asked suspiciously.

"I can't. You'll have to watch Euiridas and judge her yourself."

<--<< >>-->

So the days went. Euiridas sent Taryn and Jason to train with Jaron every day, right at dawn. Taryn learned to control his ice and Jason how to wield his energy. They both became expert swordsmen and learned to fight with a vast array of other weapons. They learned hand to hand combat and did a complex routine each morning, making them more flexible. They grew stronger and more battle ready. All the while, Jason watched Euiridas in everything she did. Just as she in turn watched him.

<--<< >>-->

They were training with a mock sword battle when Euiridas finally approached Jason.

"Jason. I require a word with you." She said gravely as the sound of swords clashing stopped. Sheathing his sword, Jason muttered an apology to Taryn and jogged after Euiridas. She took him to the forest edge.

"Dargon is being invaded. Find your friends. Gather the guardians. Or we will all perish."

"What?" Jason exclaimed, "This makes no sense!"

Euiridas crept up at him and pressed a dagger to his throat. Then she tucked it back into the hidden folds of her gown.

"Let me put it this way, mortal," She hissed, "Your family is dead! You and everyone else will be too, if you don't do anything."

"My family... No. How can this be... " Jason gave an anguished cry, "Lily! Father! Edward!"

His dear little sister was dead. His whole family had perished. No longer would his father come back from the wars, with a battered face, but with a hug ready for his children always. No longer would he be chased around the house by his older brother, Edward. No longer would he be able to run home to see Lily and to tell her of his life as a squire.

Only as a result of his training did his powers not destroy all of Silvardor. Despite all of his training, in many towns, elves everywhere felt the terrible tremors that tore through the earth. Jason's utter heartbreak spread through all of Silvardor, toppling trees and the occasional house.

"Control yourself, boy!" Euiridas snapped, bring Jason back to the harsh reality. He calmed himself with difficulty.

"How many? Who?!" He growled, breathing raggedly. How many had died. Who had lost their family tonight.

"Hundreds," She whispered, "Michael Habers lives no more. Neither does Saera. Many others didn't make it, but these are the ones who matter. Break it to Taryn gently. Saera was his only friend for many years. He will likely grieve for a long time because of this."

"Why? Who could slaughter innocents like this?" Jason asked.

Euiridas looked at him, "Demons, boy! Don't you know anything?"

"Not this. How could this happen?" Jason said resolutely.

"Reyneld's wall is wearing thin. Soon the hordes of demons will once again burst into Dargon!"

"Reyneld sacrificed his magic and his family to build the wall!" Jason exclaimed.

"Indeed he did, as you will also have to do. The Lady of Fate already directs your destiny. You and your friends are aided by the gods themselves! Sylune herself graced Taryn with her presence," She said fervently, "It is a sign. It is you destiny!"

"No. Pelos has yet to show his face, and Nukatu rests in her eternal slumber. Perhaps Sylune thought Taryn was worth something, but I am not! The gods are wrong!" Jason cried.

"How dare you say that!" Euiridas growled, "The gods are NEVER wrong. It is not possible. They are all wise."

It was then that a huge crash sounded. Euiridas looked up into the sky and her face drained of color. Jason looked up and saw why. Another crash sounded and a bluish oval curved inwards. Cracks started to show. The demons were coming.