Chapter 18 - Journey to Silvardor

Meanwhile, Lirya and her companions dried their unshed tears and set to work, counting their losses and planning for the future.

"We have to go to Silvardor." Jon muttered while straightening the already neat and orderly rows of books on the bookshelf.

Jason's head jerked up, "Why?"

"I have to meet my mother. She is wise, and can guide us on our perilous journey." Jon said, not really looking at any of them.

"What a load of nonsense! When did you start spouting such- oh, to the Abyss with that! Fine! We'll go!" Jason grumbled.

"Why the change of heart?" Lirya asked Jason.

"Can't a man have a different opinion?" He demanded. 

Lirya gave him a wounded look and took a step back, away from him.

"No. I'm sorry. I... just... my father was said to have been killed by an elven patrol... and... I changed my mind, because it's time to fulfill my destiny." Jason explained. He gave a huge sigh and sat down on one of the kitchen tables, with his hand resting on the tabletop.

"Oh. I am so sorry, Jason." Lirya said gently. She put her hand over his and gave it a reassuring pat.

<--<< >>-->

They gathered their things, not much more than food and weapons. Lirya had gone to check on their horses only to find them all gone and signs of blood in the shape of hoof prints on the floor. No one had gone into the stables again. They had gathered some blankets from the bedrooms and bundled themselves into coats. Then they headed out into the woods. It was a beautiful day and the snow sparkled in the sharp afternoon sunlight. Jon glanced at the sun with a hand over his eyes, "Silvardor is that way." He said as he pointed at a worn path nearly invisible under the snow.

"How can you tell?" Jason asked, his voice betraying his intense interest.

"I memorized all the maps and sign points." Jon replied with a straight face, but collapsed laughing a moment later at Jason's crestfallen expression.

"No, sorry. I saw a road sign a little while back that showed the way." Jon grinned. Jason scowled.

"Not funny." He grumbled.

Lirya laughed and walked ahead of them.

<--<< >>-->

They walked for a couple of hours, and reached a small fishing village. People in that area called it Seliue. There was a small, shabby inn and a market square as well as the houses that people lived in and of course, the butcher's. They only sold fish, however, so any varieties of meat were priced very high. Jason, Lirya and Jon walked down the streets to the inn.

"How much money do you have?" Jon asked the others.

Jason dug around in his pocket and came up with a few silver seguns, one gold gylin and four bronze brynus. Lirya had brought twenty gold gylins, so they would have no money issues for a while.

"I have a silver piece and two bronzies." Jon said, pulling out the money.

They stuffed the money back where they came from and hurried to the inn. As they got there, they smelled the heavenly smell of inn food. They also heard the rowdy laughter and calls from inside the inn, suggesting that it was busy. They stopped outside the inn door.

"I'll go in, and get the rooms. You stay here. Lirya, can I have a few gold pieces?" Jason said. Lirya nodded and handed him five pieces. He then opened the door and went in. He walked straight to the innkeeper, thickset man, who appeared to enjoy his inn food a little too much. He looked up as Jason approached.

"You a lord?" He asked.

"No, sir. I am a simple merchant. I have made a fair fortune and wish to spend the night here with my companions. Do you have any rooms available?" Jason replied, careful not to give away any additional information.

"Aye, we have a room available. Do you want it...?" The innkeeper asked, leaving a silent question of the name of this merchant that he dealt with.

"Evane Wardlo. We'll take the room. Also, could we have a meal here? How much is the room?"

"Ah, yes, Mr. Wardo. The room is a gold piece and for another gold piece you can have a meal for your company, as long as you don't have more than four people altogether. You pay for the meal there. Pay the barmaid." The innkeeper smiled and shook Jason's hand. Jason nodded and handed over a gold gylin.

"Your room's on the second floor, the room at the far corner."

Jason thanked him made for the door to fetch the others.

"Our room is up the stairs and the last one, right at the end." Jason said as they entered. 

Lirya caught a few glances from those so in their cups that they were not thinking straight. She glared at them, making them extremely interested in their mugs of mead, all of a sudden. Lirya was still in her Key-garb, the purple dress and cape with gold trimming. She pulled the hood low over her eyes and continued to walk. They were an odd group, with Lirya dressed for the warmer climates of Anhua and Jason dressed in his fine clothes. Jon was the only one not dressed remarkably. They reached the stairs and hurried up to the room.

The room was very small. Situated in a corner, it had a small bed, and old closet and a worn bedside table. There was a small lamp on it, and that gave a little light when Jon lit it.

"Gods! This is horrible!" Jason muttered in disgust.

"We're only staying here for a night. I'm sure we'll live." Lirya said, her face bright with wonder. She had not been allowed out of Thronesgar Castle before, and this was all very interesting for her.

Jon stood up from where he had lit the lamp, "Yeah. Lirya, you take the bed. Me and Jason will sleep somewhere on the floor."

"Ever courteous, even in this dump." Jason noted.

Jon chuckled as they removed their heavy outer clothes and bags. Lirya stretched and beamed as she waited for the others.

"Right. Let's go and get some food!" She smiled and opened the door, holding it open for the boys.

Taking a seat in a corner of the common room, they waited for the barmaid. The barmaid saw them instantly and sauntered over to take their order.

"What's on the menu today?" Jason asked, handing over a gold gylin. The barmaid giggled and answered, "Ignu bird roasted in thick sauce with crispy potato wedges."

Jon brightened visibly and instantly ordered a large helping. He noticed the others staring.

"What? Have you never tasted Ignu bird? It's the best!"

They shook their heads and he looked horrified. He then proceeded to explain all about the Ignu bird.

"The Ignu bird is a giant bird, about the size of a big dog, with four legs and two large wings. It has these juices in its body that, when heated, gives the bird its distinctive taste. For some reason, the juices from the bird ruins the tastes of any other meats, if you consume it, so that is why it is never served with any other meats." Jon explained. Then he ordered a meal for both Lirya and Jason. Jason raised an eyebrow but said nothing.

When the meals arrived, they all dug in. Jon shoved a huge mouthful into his mouth while Jason and Lirya were more cautious. Then both of their eyes widened considerably.

"Good god of light! This is the most marvelous thing I have ever tasted!" Jason exclaimed. Lirya nodded her agreement and dug in to the rest of the meal with gusto.

Later, with full stomachs, they made their way back to the room and Lirya collapsed on the bed, which made an alarming creak. Jason and Jon took out some blankets and soon fell asleep. Jon's snores were evident every now and again. Lirya felt so tired, but try as she might, she could not sleep. Her every sense prickled with a sense of unease. Then she heard it. The low rumble that echoed through the room. Her breathing quickened as she lay perfectly still, with her eyes clamped shut, she felt, rather than saw the shadow of someone standing by her bed, looking at her.