Chapter 31: Troubled Hero

Christina's P.O.V

"By my title of 'Hero', I hereby proclaim that the man, Roice Fletchman, has been judged accordingly and shown mercy under the grace of the gods." Christina declared, feeling sick to her stomach as she normally did with these types of proceedings before she turned and started walking back in the direction she had come from, leaving the family grieving behind her as the guards locked them out of their former home.

"L-Lady Christina! Are you not going to ride back with us to the temple?" Celdric yelled after her, and Christina sighed to herself as she didn't want him to think that she was avoiding him.

"I'm sorry... I just need some time to think." Christina replied before continuing in the direction she had come from. And while she felt guilty for abandoning the man that had taken her in and raised her, she also knew that she needed to distract herself or she would feel anxious otherwise.

Continuing to walk into the slums, Christina looked around her sadly as she saw nothing but desperation and hunger in these nearly empty streets. And while she wanted nothing more than to help them, all she could do for now was to help the church in it's duties. As they'd just liberated another den of criminals, Christina knew that the funds would work wonders for feeding all of these people at the chapel. However... even if she knew that she was helping them, she still felt uneasy for some unknown reason.

Spotting a group of children that didn't seem as if they'd eaten in several days, Christina walked towards the one sitting on the street and leaning against the wall of a building before she dug into her satchel and produced the seven copper coins that she'd earned from defeating a monster nearly a week ago. While it wasn't much, it would at least give the child enough money to buy her a few meals. However, she she finally placed the currency in the little girl's hand and smiled as the child looked up at her, she was surprised as her coins were suddenly thrown back at her and the girl's face contorted with anger.

"Why bother now?! You've already taken everything from us!" The child, who Christina now recognized as the daughter of a corrupt merchant that she'd given a trial to a month ago, yelled at her before running away. "You're not a hero at all!"

Shocked by the sudden outburst, Christina stood and looked around her, shaking slightly as she realized that she was being glared at by the other children now as well before they all slowly walked away. Though, to be honest with herself, she still wasn't sure why they'd hated her. Of course it was a terrible bit of luck that the girl had been born under the corrupt merchant and had to pay the same price for it as her father had, but was that really been worth refusing charity when it had been offered to her?

'You're not a hero at all!' Those words echoed in Christina's mind, making her tense as they stung her more than any wound she'd ever had before. After all, she'd been born a hero, raised to be a hero and was expected to be a hero once whichever great evil that the gods sent her to defeat appeared. It was her title, right? It was what she was born for, right? So why did it feel as if she were doing something wrong?

After not calming down at all from her brief walk, Christina now realized that she needed Father Celdric's teachings in order to ease her mind. Just as always when she was feeling unsure of herself, she knew that he would be able to help her this time as well. And with those thoughts, she started walking down the street once more as she headed back to the temple.

Walking around the city and eventually finding the market district where he temple was located, Christina had her head down the entire way, attempting not to notice the hateful stares of the people around her. And while she was curious as to why they hated her so much when she was just doing her duty, she had to admit that she was more angry than anything. Because when the evil finally descended, they would be the ones looking to her for safety, and they would expect her assistance despite how they were treating her now.

"Welcome back, Lady Christina." The greeter at the temple welcomed her, and she quickly nodded her head in his direction before she continued to walk through the temple and towards Father Celdric's office.

"Of course it's done! I said that I would do it, didn't I?!" Christina heard Celdric's angry voice behind the partially opened door when she finally reached it. "Just put the payment in the normal warehouses. And don't let it be late this time!"

"Father." Christina lightly knocked on the door, and there was suddenly a scuffling sound from inside before the door opened and a man that looked more like a thug than a visitor stepped past her in a rush to get out of the building.

"I'm glad to see that you've returned, my dear. Please come in." Celdric adopted the same soft and kind tone that he always addressed her with, and she complied as she entered the messy office and lightly closed the door behind her. "Can I help you with something?"

"I- I'm having doubts again." Christina admitted, and Celdric sighed to himself while nodding his head in understanding before he beckoned to an empty chair in front of him with his hands, his long red beard swaying as it always did when he moved.

"Tell me of your troubles, young one." Celdric said as Christina sat down.

"I feel as if I've done something terrible again." Christina explained as she looked down towards her feet. "Each and every time we find a den of evil and cleanse it, I feel as if I've harmed someone innocent."

"And indeed you have, just as we all must during these trying times." Celdric explained. "Even if the ones we seek have evil firmly planted in both their minds and souls, the ones that are connected to them may be completely innocent. However, as the criminals face the pain of being cleansed, so to do those that were attached to them. It's the unfortunate price to pay for knowing and caring about such a person."

"That is wrong." Christina replied. "Why should they have to suffer if only the corrupt ones have preformed evil deeds? Why should the innocent have to pay for the actions done by others?"

"It's because we are all viewed as equals in the eyes of the gods, I'm afraid." Celdric sided as he leaned forward and placed his head on top of Christina's head. "When one casts darkness, the gods only see an ever-growing spot and attempt to get rid of it before it spreads. Unfortunately, this means that those nearest to that spot are punished as well. This is the way that they work, and the way that you work as well, as you are their chosen."

"Then why does it hurt so much to do their will?" Christina asked while clutching the aching area in her heart. "Why must I suffer as well?"

"It is so that you do not become evil yourself." Celdric explained. "If you feel the pain and guilt of those connected to evil but are innocent themselves, then you are above becoming absorbed by the power that both your title and the church give you. It is to keep you pure, even when the world seems to be crumbling down around us."

"I- I see..." Christina replied, taking a deep breath as she let her mentor's words sink into both her mind and heart. After all, it was his duty to help the innocent as well, just as he'd done before for her when evil had consumed her life. Her parents had sold her into slavery, her masters had committed terrible deeds to the older slaves and just when she thought that she was about to receive the same fate, Celdric had arrived and bought her, showing her the ways of faith and explaining her destiny to her.

"Thank you for your wisdom, Father." Christina smiled at the man. "Once again, you have eased my mind."

"It isn't a problem at all, my child. This is what I am here for." Celdric smiled at her as well, and yet again, Christina thought of how fortunate she was for having the most noble and pure man in all of Elnor to guide her on her path.