Chapter 65: Boss Battle

"Hey, watch it!" Koko waved her arms around in an attempt to keep her balance on the flying sword as several of the giant ent's vines attempted to grab her. Though her attempts at evasion thankfully didn't have to last for long seeing as one of the vines finally managed to grab the hilt of the sword and drug it downwards. And seeing as she didn't have anything else to stand on, Koko fell along with it.

"Eat this!" Austin yelled from beneath Koko, appearing at the ent's back before using his magic to activate some kind of skill. And as soon as he finished it, his swung his daggers forward in a flash, leaving two blue lines on the giant ent's back before the entire area detonated in a shower of wood chips.

"And this!" Koko yelled, using the fall to her advantage as she was directly above monster's head. Though when she finally reached it, her fist started glowing in a strange dark-purple color as she as she combined both her MP and the rage she'd built up from her previous attacks in order to hit the creature with her new Shatter skill, which would have done twice her normal amount of damage anyway even without the magic added to it. As she struck the top of the giant ent, not only did her fall thankfully stop as she hit it hard enough to stop herself in mid-air but the giant ent recoiled while crying out as several areas both on its head and neck burst apart as the force of the blow traveled through its body. And after fully landing on the monster's head, Koko had to hang onto it as a storm of both fireballs and spears of ice started detonating and impaling the giant ent's chest followed by a giant beam of light as both Richard and Christina continued their assault. However, while things were looking good as far as the boss was concerned, Koko found that they had an entirely new problem as she could see well beyond the edges of the crater from where she was standing. And from her position, she could easily the horde of regular ents headed towards them as the sun must have been low enough that they had been able to rise.

"We've got company! A whole lot of them!" Koko yelled down towards where Conner was readying another skill, and he clenched his teeth as he seemed to immediately know what she ment.

"Just keep fighting for now!" Conner called out. "Koko, if they get close enough then come down and keep them off of us!"

"Kay!" Koko replied before delivering a series of rapid punches to the top of the giant ent's head, continuing to strike the spot that she'd hit before until she finally had to retreat as the vines started attempting to remove her. Though her time battling the boss monster seemed to be over anyway seeing as the first of the normal ents crested the top of the crater's edge and Koko once again surfed down the giant ent with her feet before hitting the ground and sprinting over to where the priests were eyeing them warily. And right before the first ent reached them, Koko appeared and punched it hard enough to send it into several others that were behind it, gaining them a small amount of breathing room though it was nowhere near enough seeing as the ents continued to pour over the rim of the crater in an endless number.

"I don't know how long I'll be able to hold them back!" Koko called out once she realized that the ents were behind the boss as well and the horde had them completely surrounded.

"Keep them off of us for as long as possible. Everyone else, give it all you got! We need to finish this now!" Conner yelled out his orders as Christina and Richard let loose more attacks, though Koko couldn't see the results as she was currently waging her own one-woman war against an army of tree creatures. And it wasn't long before they were approaching with such numbers that she had to use Dragon's Fury, though even then her fight was difficult seeing as she needed to keep all of the hundreds of smaller monsters away from the rest of her party while at the same time attempting not to get in their way. Though thankfully they were looking out for her as well seeing as Conner had blocked several vines that had nearly crushed her and the priests healed her all of the damage that she was taking from her own attacks as well as the wounds she'd sustained when she blocked the bosses attack earlier.