Chapter 74: Permission

"It's here!" Koko exclaimed as she opened the box that Jazzy had sent her to reveal her violin, though she covered her mouth too late as Christina had already heard her.

"A violin?" Christina asked curiously, looking over Koko's shoulder before realization dawned in her eyes. "So you really are going to play music for he talent competition!"

"You guessed that already?" Koko asked curiously as Christina began looking smug.

"Of course I did. I know you better than anyone else the in academy, after all." Christina replied in a proud manner.

"Well, I can't deny that." Koko said while laughing at her situation. "But you cant tell anyone else, alright?"

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me." Christina winked as she replied while holding out her pinky finger as if it were a promise. "But what song are you planning to play?"

"One that only a few people in this world have ever heard before." Koko replied excitedly before slumping her shoulders in depression. "Or, at least, I'd have liked to."

"What's the matter?" Christina asked.

"If I want to play the song then I'll need at least two more Acoustic Substitutes." Koko sighed. "And they're a gold coin apiece! There's no way that I can afford that!"

"Well, the festival is still more than a month away." Christina replied thoughtfully. "Perhaps there's some way that we can make the money?"

"But how?" Koko asked. "I have nothing to sell, no rich friends to lend it to me and I'm definitely not going to take out a loan for it!"

"How is a good question..." Christina replied, once again seeming thoughtful before both of them sat in their dorm room and contemplated the problem. Though seeing as she'd already been thinking about it before, Koko soon groaned loudly in aggravation as she still wasn't coming up with an answer.

"The only way that I was able to make our shopping money from before was because I'd been going into the forest, killing monsters and taking anything valuable that I found." Koko explained. "But seeing as the academy doesn't let me do that, I hardly have any funds at all!"

"Have you tried asked the headmaster for permission?" Christina suggested. "Normal students aren't permitted to combat monsters by themselves, but we've fought together with him against the giant ent, so he might let you."

"I... I never thought about asking him!" Koko replied brightly as she pondered the possibility. "He might even know where there are some powerful monsters that have a lot of money!"

"Hey! There's a difference between fighting normal monsters and powerful monsters! Just don't let him hear you say that!" Christina warned her, though Koko didn't pay any heed to it before she got off of her bed and left the room, jogging down the hallway as she headed towards the headmaster's office with Christina following close behind her.

"Do you even know if the headmaster is here today?!" Christina asked Koko as they entered the academy.

"We're about to find out!" Koko replied in an excited voice as they found the stairs and she started running up them. And while Christina had been able to keep pace with her up until now, this was where Koko lost the hero before she eventually reached the top floor and entered a small room with only a small wooden desk and a large iron door that led into the headmaster's office occupying it.

"K-Koko? Is there something the matter?!" A familiar elf asked as Koko barged into the room.

"N-no... Sorry for startling you." Koko apologized sheepishly. "Is the headmaster here today?"