16. I Guess There's A First Time For Everything, Right

I am so not ready. Definitely not ready. This is too much for me to handle. Gosh. I guess there's a first time for everything, right?

I'm sitting in Bailey's car and we're driving to Newt's party. I'm dressed in a red halter top and a pair of ripped jeans. I don't think you're meant to get too dressed up for high school parties. Of course, I've seen many movies about high school parties where no one's too dressed up, but ultimately, I have no first-hand experience in this area.

Bailey picked me up at seven. It's not too dark but dark enough for the street lights to be shining. I don't even pay attention to where Newt's place is. Bailey seems responsible enough to stay sober so he can drive me home. After all, I have no other way of getting back. He should know that.

When we arrive, there are cars parked all up and down the street. At the end of the street, you can hear music blasting as if it were playing for the CD player in your car. With a heap of luck, we find a park right outside Newt's neighbour's house. I get out nervously. I feel my back pocket, making sure my phone is still there. I grab it out and shove it in my front pocket. You can never be too safe.

Newt's house is fancy. It's modern and he's obviously rich. The music is even louder; my ears feel heavy and as if they're about to pop. There are heaps of people gathered outside, red plastic cups in hand. Some people are making out. Bailey takes my hand and leads me inside. I think to myself, why am I here?

The house is packed. I have no idea what the layout is or where we're going. It's quite dark in here. Bailey yells to one of his friends and they wave at him. There are way too many people. I didn't even know there were this many people in our grade.

"Bailey?" I shout, trying to be heard over the music and chatter. Bailey turns around and leans into me. "Are all of these people from our grade?"

"Not just our grade, Martina. This is a party. Everyone's invited from everywhere," Bailey grins at me. He leads me elsewhere; there are four other people here but the music is just as loud. I look around; we're in the kitchen. Newt is filling up three cups on the kitchen island. He's wearing a red shirt and jeans. He picks up the drinks, concentrating hard on not dropping them, and makes his way over to Bailey and me.

"Here you go," Newt says, pushing the drinks into our hands. "Two beers."

I take the drink hesitantly. Bailey takes a few sips before nodding at the drink in my hand. I slowly bring it up to my mouth. The brim of the cup touches my lip and I tip it back, taking in a mouthful of beer. The taste is horrible and I scrunch up my face, spitting it out onto the floor. I swallow the excess beer in my mouth so I don't make a scene by spitting all over the floor.

"That's revolting. Never give me beer again," I say. "I'm sorry. I'll clean that up for you." Bailey and Newt laugh and I can't help but be disgusted that they're still drinking. I move over to the kitchen and spot a box of tissues. I put my cup down on the bench while grabbing out a heap of tissues. I walk back to the boys and drop down to where I spat beer all over the floor. I clean it up while Newt and Bailey talk amongst themselves then I shove the tissues in the bin. It took me a while to find it.

"OK. That's done," I sigh.

Newt and Bailey laugh at me.

"Again, Newt, I'm so sorry," I say. "It tasted so bad, that's all."

"I can see that," Newt says. "It's alright." He smiles at me, messing his hair up with his free hand.

"I won't ever get you a beer when we go out again," Bailey states. So he wants to go out with me again? Hmm...