18. I Think You Deserve Another Chance

Yesterday, I tried avoiding Bailey at all costs. Thankfully, I didn't have as many classes with him as I usually would but I still had to avoid him at break times and on the way to classes. Today won't be so easy. I have English right now and he is sitting right in front of me. I'm hoping he won't turn around and talk or try to move near me.

Thomas is sitting beside me and is talking to me about Samuel.

"He's been hanging around with Abel's best friend, Jack, a lot," Thomas complains.

"Abel? Who's that?" I ask.

"That's Samo's older brother," Thomas explains.

"Oh," I say. "I wouldn't be too worried. After all, Samuel can have guy friends, can't he?"

"Yeah," Thomas sighs. "I'm just getting jealous, that's all."

"I know," I say.

"Is it normal to be jealous in a relationship?"

"Yeah, it is."

"How would you know?" Thomas gives me a look.

"Hey! You don't need to remind me that I've never been in a relationship with a real person before," I say. "But I know because... it just seems normal. And Tiffany used to talk to me about her boyfriends a lot."

"Yeah," Thomas' tone turns sympathetic. "You guys don't talk much anymore, do you?"

"Not really," I shrug. "She's probably busy with her new life. I should leave her to it."

"No!" Thomas punches my arm lightly. "You can't just let go of your best friend!"

"I'm not," I say. "I'm just not talking to her as much. I did call her and ask her what to wear on a date, though."

"Ooh," Thomas smirks at me. "The one with Eddie?"

"Yeah," I nod.

"Speaking of Eddie, how is he? You guys dating yet?" Thomas asks.

I look towards Bailey and he's busy talking with Newt and Steven. Probably talking about the party. I start to wonder if Bailey was hungover after the party. I turn back to Thomas.

I whisper, "We're not dating yet. I can't figure out if I want to be with Eddie or if I want to be with Bailey... it's really hard."

"Well, figure it out, girl. And fast. You might be losing an opportunity here," Thomas lifts a shoulder.

I continue with the English work that I neglected while chatting with Thomas. I feel like bonding with Thomas was a little more important than working on a subject I ace, considering my little fallout with Thomas earlier this week.

At the end of the lesson, I tell Thomas I'll meet him in class. I duck into the bathroom to use the toilet. When I get to the mirror, I stand there, taking myself in. How could anyone like this? My face isn't even the best and my body definitely isn't. There are so many skinny girls out there that Eddie and Bailey could have yet they choose to stick around for me. Bailey could have Bianca - she's been chasing after him for years - and Eddie could have that girl that asked him out about a week ago.

I walk into drama a little bit later than I intend. Mrs Gregory asks where I've been and I tell her I was in the bathroom. A couple of people laugh probably because they thought I was there for - never mind. The only seat available is a seat next to Bailey. Just my luck, isn't it?

"OK," says Mrs Gregory. Now that we've got everyone -" she gives me a look "- we can start. Let's just play a warm-up game first. I'll be splitting you all up into groups of about four or five. You'll all be given a scene and you'll need to do a freeze frame of that scene. Do you think you guys can do that before we get into the real stuff?"