Water Rafting (Part 2)

Sorry it's in two parts guys - it just seemed like a lot to upload in one go :) and I wrote it on my iPad so I don't know how many pages it equates to :)

Anyway here's the second part :)

--------------

"I knew this would be bad." Clara said, chewing her nails as we stood around the pile of materials we'd been given.

"Remember, we all have to fit in it." Loki mused as he watched Greg hold a piece of wood steady of Tony to tie another piece too.

Molly grabbed the big piece of blue tarpaulin and unfolded it, "What's this for? A sail?"

Greg looked up, "No, we have ores - no need for a sail. It's for waterproofing the raft once it's built. We'll probably use it to line the inside."

"Outside." Sherlock suddenly said.

"What?"

"We'll line the outside with it. Not the inside."

"Shirley is right." Tony said, moving to sit cross legged, "We want to keep the water off the frame so the tarp is better on the outside."

"Do you want us to do anything?" I asked, picking up a plank of wood of which there were several.

"You could cut string and tape." Sherlock said, throwing us the ball of string and a roll of tape before passing some scissors.

"Great." Clara said as we began unraveling the string and cutting it into arm length pieces that Tony then used to strap bits of wood and plastic piping together.

"Just out of interest," I said, "When can you collect the gold flag?"

"How do you mean?" Greg mumbled while helping Loki to hold a bowing stick in place while Sherlock and Tony strapped it down with a mixture of tape and string.

"Well, can you get it before all the other flags and then collect the rest?" I asked while picking at the tape to find the end. Duct-tape was something I wasn't a fan of. It was too sticky and strong which made it hard to seperate if the ends got stuck together.

"I tried that one year." Loki said thoughtfully, "We got a hundred points deducted from our school before we'd done the first round of activities."

"Oh," I shot a look at Clara who just shrugged and replied, "If it sounds like cheating the chances are Loki's already tried it."

"One year I slashed a hole in the Chance Thorp raft with a sharp stick." He said proudly.

"Yeah and we ended the camp with only five hundred points thanks to you." Greg rolled his eyes.

"Five hundred isn't that bad!" I said, then saw everyones faces, "That's a lot isn't it?"

"Compared to Chance Thorps two thousand odd? Yeah Rosie it was a big moment of triumph for us." Tony said sarcastically.

Then he stretched and stood up, holding a large oval shape that was pointed at both ends.

"Right, everyone sit inside this in pairs and see if it's big enough."

We did as instructed and realised it was a bit of a close fit.

Loki raised his hand, "Oi, it's a bit cramped in this raft, Master Engineer!"

Tony tapped his lip in thought.

"You could make it completely flat and line the bottom with tarp." Clara offered as a solution and a new design idea.

Tony shook his head though, "That's what me and Percy did last year and it sank."

"We need something that is easy to bail if it gets water in it but is steady enough to stand up in." Sherlock directed, stepping out of the frame.